1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow barely goes up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfor, Jan 20, 2002.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I have an 8' Diamond plow with the E-60 H power unit. It is leaking fluid at the piston where it lifts. I am assuming that in needs a new seal kit. Also the piston is somewhat pitted. Can somebody head me in the right direction. Is this an easy fix?
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you're on the right track, although I don't know how involved the job is.

If the piston is that tired-looking (as in "old") I suspect the pump itself may also be worn. As a result, the pressure going to the lift cylinder isn't as high as it should be.

Overhaul/repair on those units is something I don't get into, but many plow dealers/hydraulics shops do and for them, a powerpack overhaul is a straightforward job - I had my Monarch powerpack checked out & rebuilt as necessary this summer and the turnaround time was pretty quick.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2002
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

dfor: Plow lifts very slow, does your plow also angle at a slow rate too? Have you checked your fluid level and condition? Very posible that the pump has ice build up on the suction screen due to water getting in the system. A warm garage and flush & fluid change should take care of that. You didn't say if the leak around the cylinder was just seepage or if it was "squirting" out when you tried to raised the plow. If it squirts when you raise the plow it will probably not build enough pressure to lift the blade, but the plow should still angle okay. Meyer has a master seal kit that would take care of the job for you and the instructions that are included are easy to follow. It doesn't come with the lift cylinder so I would have your dealer check it for you, small pits on a Meyer cylinder are not as big a problem as on some of the other units because of the way that they are designed. Good luck.
  4. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I used the plow for about 5 hours this morning. (25 driveways) I noticed that as the day was going it was lifting slower and slower. Now it will not lift the plow at all. It angles at normal speed. It doesn't squirt, but definitely pours out. I'll get a kit and see what it looks like and decide if I want to tackle it or not. For what it's worth, the plow is 4 years old with about 150 to 175 driveways per year. And the pump stays on the truck year round.