1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Balast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Jan 18, 2004.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

If you put balast in the back of your truck and unless you are using sand/salt in tubes or bags, secure it to your truck. Using concrete blocks, steel, rock, etc. it can and will come through your cab or through someones car. Using 2x4 is not enough to hold it in your bed, it will just keep it from moving around in your bed. Please, for your safety, and more importantly mine, dont just throw some cinder blocks in the back of your truck and think, well it never came out before. Bolting it to the frame is the best and strongest. Otherwise secure it to your bed, but try to spread the weight out. Well i feel better. :D :D

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

So what your saying is that I should drill a bunch of holes in my bed just to keep it from flying out?:rolleyes:
    Why should I or we ruin our trucks by doing that when there is other options. I secure my weight with a 2x12 and never had it move. The only way it will fly out is if I roll my truck.:nod:

3. irocz600hp

irocz600hp Member

i use bags of coal and the barely slide forget jump out the bed. u must be 4 wheeling with the stuff in your bed

4. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I picked up sand tubes at Home Depot. 60 lbs each and lay pretty well.

5. 04superduty

what i was trying to say was you need to make sure things wont fly out of your truck. Thinking it never has come out means it never will is asking for something to go wrong. A couple of years ago one of my moms friends was killed by a small jack. It bounced out of someones truck and went through the windshield and then through her head on the highway. And yes boss you should bolt weigths to your truck. If you hit something hard like a pole, other car, those weights will come through your cab and can hit you, or hit someone ealse. You can do what you want, but for me I would like to avoid possible lawsuits. Just my .02$:D

6. sgrprincees

sgrprincees Junior Member

Have you ever been in a car crash? The forces involved are so huge that there is no way you can expect a 2x12 to stop the mass behind it. Take responsiblity for keeping your vehicle safe.

7. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

True but that means anything we place in the bed should be bolted down or secured for a major accident. I don't disagree but how many people have you seen going down the highway with loose construction equipment in the bed or whatever. It's just not practical to secure everything all the time.

8. 04superduty

By law you have to have all loads properly secured and you can be ticketed for this. In an accident, things will fly everywhere and a little 2x12 wont even slow those bags down. Mostly the laws are not enforced much, only when you get into an accident will you get a ticket. Talk to a trucker about not having a load secured and see what kind of tickets they will get.

9. The Boss

The only thing I use for ballast is salt and sometimes a 2 stage. I've hit some snowpiles pretty hard and neither one of them have moved. 2 stage is always secured with a strap. Bags of salt are held in by 2x12. If the law says I have to have them secured, then take me to jail. Not trying to start a fight, but I do what I want with my truck and equipment. I'm insured to the fullest so if something happens, than something happens.

10. 04superduty

boss im not trying to start a war either.:D :D was just warning you and others that they need to make sure those cinderblocks are held in by more than a 2x12. Was searching and alot of people use weight but very few talk about securing it in their trucks. Alot said, it will only come out in a rollover, or i must have been 4 wheeling. well, when you hit a pole, large object, ect and that block comes through you, it might be a little late.:D :D just my thaughts though. Remember, everyone is looking for an easy lawsuit, so just try not to give them more fuel.

11. The Boss

Haven't seen anyone use concrete blocks around here. Like I said, I just use my salt. I've seen a couple of guys who have a peice of steel cut that fits inside their bed. That works pretty good except when they have to take it out. Pretty heavy. I'm just not into the idea of drilling holes in my bed. I get pretty picky about my rides.:waving:

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

well last storm was wet and heavy i was driving a f350 psd and with 1000 pounds of ballast its still to lite i put some old wieght lifting wieghts another 1000 pounds

13. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Use Ancra Tie Down Plates. Four small holes in the bed. The attachment ring is removable, leaving you with a nearly flush mounting point if you mount them in the recesses of the bed grooves. Place a piece of metal backing plate on the underside of bed attached by the bolts mounting the anchor points. Mine are about even with the rear of the wheel wells and I have about nine 60 lb. sand tubes placed rear of the axle (crosswise).These are held down with two ratcheting tie downs. they run from the hooks in front of the sand, over them and between the tailgate and body, with the other ends hooked at the hitch where the trailer chains would go. And don't skimp on the straps. A friend whose father was a police officer said he'd seen a drivers head removed from it's body by balast weight from the bed of the truck in an accident