1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow application options

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by '07Chevy1500, Dec 17, 2009.

1. '07Chevy1500

'07Chevy1500 Junior Member

I've been out of the plowing business the last 3 years and miss it. I got rid of my old plow truck, a '00 F250 with a Meyer plow that stopped at nothing. I now have a new body style Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab Z71 that does not have a plow prep package. Yet, I have seen many of these trucks lately with plows of varying manufacturers.

I am looking for advice on applicable brands, upgrades to the suspension / electrical system, and just plain old pros and cons that anyone has dealt with in plowing with the new style Silverado 1500. I have completed the application guides on the Meyer, Boss, SnoWay and Snow Dogg websites. Obviously, they all have a plow for my truck, it just doesn't seem like the truck is heavy-duty enough to handle 600+ lbs. on the front end. At the very least, I will put a leveling kit on the front before any plow.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dealer service and support is MORE important then brand.
    Truck will do just fine...add plenty of ballast in the bed
  3. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i've got a customer who's running an '08 chebby 1500, he ran a blizard 7'6" straight without too much trouble.. even ran a 2 yard spreader in the back.. truck seemed to do ok.. it could used some help holding it up. but it plowed decient
  4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

new body chevy

I have seen many on here that have them. I can't say much for mine because my plow only weighs 250#. That 250# does not move my front end. As far as actually plowing, it does fine and mine is not geared for plowing. I have the 4.8l with 3.42 gears. I think if you put a leveling kit in the front and stick to the plows suggested you will have no problems. Commercially, it's alot of wear and tear on a 1500's transmission. I only plow my neighbors drive and mine. Just my $.02!
  5. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I just put a set of these Timbrens on the front of my 06 Chevy 2500hd. These Timbrens are an economical fix to front end sag. They replace the crappy bumpstops with a stronger rubber product. So when u raise the plow the frontend will sit on the heavy duty rubber bumpstops and won't give as much as the factory ones. It will also give you about 3/4" to an inch rise also. I got mine installed for about $240. I would have done it myself but the $35 install fee was no biggy. Hope this helps. Check out this link. http://www.truckspring.com/category.aspx?categoryID=285