1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow angles when it feels like it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by karl klein, Mar 10, 2002.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have a boss one of the first ones with the hydralics under the hood once in a while the plow wont angle or it well get stuck to one side the hydralics sound like they are trying to turn it but it just doesn't

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

First, I'll say I don't have any experience with Boss plows. From what you posted I'm gathering that your pump is running but the plow won't turn. I'll start with the basics, is your fluid at the proper level and clean? If that pump has a filter, is it clean?

If these are OK, then you probably have a solenoid that is bad or not getting power. You'll need someone to activate the plow while you check the solenoid lead with a meter or test light. STAY CLEAR OF THE PLOW! If you show power on the lead but do not angle, then the solenoid is bad. If there's no power, then you'll have to trace the circuit.

I'm assuming your up/down function is OK, if you're having problems raising the plow too, then your pump could be on its way out. I'm guessing you've got a sticky solenoid.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i am pretty shur its a solenoid because it goes up fine but i was wondering could it be the quick connects

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The only reason I've ever replaced a connector was because it leaked or in the case of a Meyers connector, fell apart. I imagine a big enough chunk of dirt could clog it, but probably unlikely. Easy enough to check though, just remove from the hoses and flush from the back.

We'll see if anyone else joins in...

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have had multiple sets of connectors fail on both Meyer and Fisher as well as when using aftermarkets. Finally I just started to replace them every year. Seems to prevent any problems. Cheap insurance to keep the plows in top condition.

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

GOOD NEWS!!!!
    i replaced the quick connects and hases they work fine now.