1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow angles when i hit snow pile plow sideways

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Feb 14, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

If i hot the pile with the right side of my plow my plow will angle to the right side. i dont think it is a leak in the cylinder. although i will soon replace the right cylinder simply because it is old.

could this be because of a angel valve?

2. birddseedd

first thing to do is replace the cylinder. as old as it is its dangerous anyway. last one had the retainer ring simply shatter. shrugs.

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Good, that's what stops it from breaking.
    Not being sarcastic.
    Its working correctly.

You're ramming the snow pile too hard.

4. birddseedd

so its the relief valve. ill compare it to the other side and see how it goes and see about hitting piles softer when its on one one side.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

its called a cushion valve. it is design to give when striking an immovable object. there is one for each side, it is adjustable on many pumps.

go to western website under service, then publication library. find your model plow/pump and see what it says.

6. birddseedd

says theres only 1 proper adjustment which comes to 3500 lbs. could the spring be old and worn?

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

This was my guess as well.

8. birddseedd

may be. so im going to do the same on the other side. if it pushes back the same ill slow it up from now on.

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

do exactly what the manual tells you to do.

10. birddseedd

Ty. I read it over it looks to be a simple process. If the other side isn't as weak ill just buy a brand new valve and install it as the manual describes.

The problem is in my inexperience I'm not sure if its a mechanical thing or if I simply am hitting too hard as stated

I can find out next snowfall. Hopefully tonight

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The problem is in my inexperience I'm not sure if its a mechanical thing or if I simply am hitting too hard as stated
    i say inexperience,,,,if your hitting it TO hard your welds would break and you plow and truck would fall apart haha!!!!!!!!!!!!1

12. birddseedd

well. the welds havnt broke yet. iv inspected them and while i kidna feel i should redo some of them, there are no signs of weakening.

but its still quite possible im hitting too hard. thsi one lot i come up to the hill at an angel. so the force that woudl normall be on both check valves is on one. is probably what its doin.

ill figure it out. if hte other side is the same slow down. if its not the same, ill jsut buy a new valve and replace it. looks easy enough.

13. birddseedd

well. lightly pushed a pile and it still angled in. so is either the cyl or the valve. ill replace the cyl. just in case. stil does it get a brand new valve.

ty for the help all

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Get a valve. A cylinder won't move unless its leaking, or the seals are bad internally. Since you said its not leaking, and plow cylinders are one way,,,I say the psi relief, or crossover,

15. birddseedd

True. but the cyl is so old i want to replace it before it explodes like the other one did.

i assume the relief valve is gone bad. how can i tell if it is that or the cross over?

16. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I just had this problem and replaced the crossover valve. Works fine now. Good luck!

17. birddseedd

18. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Yeah, that's an old plow and I don't see a crossover valve. Looking at the diagram it would seem like the cushion valve would be bad. It's just a spring holding a ball so the spring could be worn out.

19. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

It most likely a cushion valve. They are made for when you hit something hard enough the blade will angle with the pressure so you dont damage any thing.

20. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, it's page 4-4 in that mechanics guide. (or the 28th page of 48)