1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Angles Too Fast???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MIAWPUKEK, Dec 18, 2006.

1. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I just brought the new 7' Boss Poly Sport Duty home on the truck from the retailer.
    I tried it out and it seems to be angling awfully fast.
    It angles and stops so hard, it actually shakes the truck.
    Seems like it could possibly do some damage from hitting so hard.
    Anybody else find this?
    This is my first BOSS, so I don't know what they're like.

Thanks.

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Yes. Every one that ive used has been like this....but only with the joystick. The handheld makes it much smoother but it also keeps moving for a second after you stop pressing the button, kinda like Fishers soft stop or whatever.
    Personally i like how rigid the plow feels with the joystick

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep,the Boss's are very fast.That's why in their advertisement's they boast about having "the fastest and most reliable hydraulics in the industry" You'll get used to it after a while.

4. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

I have a new 8' straight blade and yes, it shakes the truck. Yes the plowblade moves very fast. Hard to center the blade, at least for now. As 06HD said it does keep moving a little when you let go of the button on the ST2 controller. I don't think the "handheld" is smooth at all.

06HD, How is the "joystick" different?

Right now I don't see this as a benefit. I'll know after the season I guess, providing it snows. :D

5. 06HD BOSS

I had the handheld hooked up before the joystick and its totally different. Like i said the plow kept moving a little after you released the button on the handheld, the plow kinda just like glided left or right i guess you could say. With the joystick its like left, right, left, right...no glide just like bang its there. It makes the plow feel really rigid. I like the joystick better because as soon as you let go of the stick it just stops.
    ....Thats just me

6. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Thanks! I just got this plow & am debating swapping out the ST2 for the Joystick. I've asked about opinions in other posts. The handheld is awkward to me & the buttons seem poorly located.

thanks 06HDBOSS-- I respect your expereienced opinion

hillndale

7. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Thats what I have now, the handheld controller (Smart-touch 2). I can't imagine what the joystick must be like then, if you say it's faster than the handheld!!! I never really noticed either that the plow keeps moving for a split second when I let go.

And yes, like you said, it is hard to get the plow centered up because it's going so fast.

I'm sure I"ll get used to it.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

They are fast but I bet my Fisher Extreme V is faster. Our shop has a Boss 8ft straight blade (new in 04 w/about 100hrs of plowing) and we put mine next to it and ours was faster going from side to side.;) But yeah they will shake the truck a bit.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Brian,your right, the new Fisher's are just as fast or faster than the Boss's. Those sucker's will angle in the blink of an eye! :eek:

10. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Switched to "JoyStick"

Ok, so I traded my ST2 controller for a JoyStick. For me the JoyStick is much easier to use. That was the main reason for the switch,

Now I see what 06HDBOSS is saying. The ST2 definitely smoothes out the blade movement side to side, and the description of "gliding" is correct. The blade does continue to move very slightly after you let off the button.

The JoyStick seems to jerk the plow side to side and shakes the truck all to he**. I hate that part. So, I'll like the ease of use of the joystick and miss the smoothness of the ST2.

Oh well. I sure hope the truck can handle the abuse (2500HD). The trucks new and I hate worrying about whats happening to the front end.

My buddy's Fisher doesn't shake his truck (F250)

Live & learn

hillndale

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, the hydraulics are very fast and it will shake my truck once and awhile...(F-250) I love my BOSS though...I would probably like the joystick better than my handheld but oh well! ;)

12. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

My Boss 8 ft Super duty blade was fast. I really liked it that way. I hit the left & right buttons to shake the snow off the blade all the time. Changing controllers wont affect the hyd speed.Electric signal opens a valve . period.

13. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

My Boss 8' Super Duty shakes the snow off my truck :D

14. 06HD BOSS

Thanks alot buddy. and good luck with your new plow!
    Also i love the rigidity the joystick gives the plow movement..BANG!:bluebounc

15. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Big Bang Theory

I get the same "big bang" (especially with the cutting edge now installed) and I did initially think it would be great for shaking off excess sticking snow... but it can't be great for the truck and now I am wondering if some hard rubber stops at the limit points would help or hurt. Anyone ever try to install such stops?

Also, do you folks grease your frame at the sliding points? Any real point to that?

Dougman

16. dartman

dartman Junior Member
    from ct

boss plow speed

some people like the speed of the boss, for the others boss does offer a solutoin which is simply a restrictor to slow the flow of the hydraulic fluid

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I like the quick response of the hydraulics.
    You will like the speed the plow moves at when You are plowing( moving).

The frame mount/sliding points, I do not think it really matters if you grease it or not but I put a a little grease on then now and then when I'm greasing the rest of the plow.