1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow angle?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by J_Bryant, Jan 1, 2013.

1. J_Bryant

J_Bryant Member

Im trying to think of a way that i can angle my plow without getting off my atv, Im trying not to spend too much money on it... But it would be nice to be able to angle quickly without hopping off, (And slipping and falling if there is ice, Yes, That has happened to me.) anyway, what do you guys think about just 3 ropes, One coming up center that will pull the angle pin, Then one from each side of the plow, I thought it might look cheesey, So if you guys got any suggestions, or have rigged up something for you plow, please help me out...

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Heck yeah. Get some eyelets and sting it up. Be sure to post pics.

3. irv

irv Senior Member

cycle country used to have a kit to pull the spring loaded pin with a cable.
    then you could put one side of the plow against something and angle it, then
    let go of the cable. actually a piece of rope on the pin would work. i had a cc
    plow with that kit. worked ok.--irv

4. J_Bryant

J_Bryant Member

Yeah, I thought about that, but at a customers driveway, i dont know if ill always be abe to find something i can drive into to angle the blade....

5. irv

irv Senior Member

snow bank at an angle?

6. ALC-GregH

from pa

That or just get off and give it a push. Personally, it got old super fast my first year using my atv. By the second plowing I ordered a Power Pivot and said screw getting off the atv.

7. braindead1684

braindead1684 Junior Member

Old push mower throttle cable would work attach to angle pin and attach cable down to plow mount pulling the cable should release the angle adjustment, then you could have a rope on each corner of the blade to angle it once you have the adjustment pulled, then just slide the cable forward and the adjustment pin should pop back in.

8. irv

irv Senior Member

im with you!

9. livergsp

livergsp Junior Member

Get A pair of these, and you won fall....

http://www.surefoot.net/

OR something like them
    ScottThumbs Up

10. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

I did the same...power pivot works great. Had to modify the way those clips work to hold the angle but has been working good since.

11. J_Bryant

J_Bryant Member

Ok guys, This is what i came up with...
    First i took a Bell bike-stop brake set, ($2.99 for complete set at Discount Drug Mart)
    I hooked the cable to the lever that you flip to angle blade,
    Unknown.jpg

Then i hooked up the brake handle on the bar of the rack, so i can reach it easy.
    Unknown (1).jpg

I put eyelet bolts in the plow blade and ran a rope to the rack so i can pull it to angle the blade, But then i relized that when the "trip blade" flips when i hit something, the ropes catch, So i got 2 coil strech key keepers and tied them from the end of my rope to the handle bar, so they can strech when i need them to, but i can always reach the rope to angle the blade,
    Unknown (3).jpg

I tested it and it works great and i will try to post a video here soon, Maybe even a video of it in action if we get some snow soon... Looks like a chance next week, (fingers crossed)
    This was very easy and very cheap...
    Bike Brake kit, $2.99 Discount Drug Mart
    Eyelet bolts x2, $2.49 Home Depot
    Coil key keepers x2, $1.99 each Home Depot
    Rope, Already had in garage

I took me about a hour or so to rig this up, and that included building a fire in the woodburner to warm the garage, and stopping for a few drinks... :drinkup:
    Im sure if you guys do something similar to this, you will like it...

Let me know what ya think..

Unknown.jpg

Unknown (1).jpg

Unknown (3).jpg

12. irv

irv Senior Member

what did you do to the clips. got pics . show and tell me what you are
    talking about. i have the latest keys. since i bought mine back when they came out it has
    sometimes slipped out. i was tol it was the nature of the beast. i even bought
    one of the late models and it did it too. pivots great but doesnt hold all the time.

13. ALC-GregH

from pa

Look around on here. I posted a few pics of the bracket I made to keep the keys in place.

14. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

I just ordered the new clips for backup (didn't come in yet) but it looks like with the new design I won't be able to use the piece I made to hold them in. Here is a picture of my setup. I drilled and tapped one hole on each side of the clips. I just upgraded my bracket to thicker flat stock and redrilled/tapped the holes using 1/4-20 thread size. Two stainless 1/4-20 screws and the bracket was flat stock. I had to use a bunch of washers temporarily but I am running today for shorter 1/4-20 stainless screws. Eventually I am just going to weld it, I see no reason not to other then if the motor or gearing fails inside. Even then I can just grind the weld off if I need to manually angle in an emergency.

2013-01-20_10-23-58_632.jpg

2013-01-20_10-24-13_246.jpg

2013-01-20_10-24-29_193.jpg

2013-01-20_10-24-47_563.jpg

2013-01-20_10-22-30_695.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  15. irv

irv Senior Member

you mean they now have a newer design yet? hadnt heard that.
    pics when you get them please. whats this, now the 4th design change?

16. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Not sure how "new" it is, but I just got them in the mail today from Montana Jacks.Sticker on the bag says 1/3/2013 Rev Level B0. Part #77946. The new ones are much larger then the originals I have but I forsee them popping out just like the originals.

2013-01-22_16-19-20_571.jpg

2013-01-22_16-25-40_545.jpg

17. irv

irv Senior Member

looks like the ones i have now. havent lost one yet , but have cable tie
    on them. i do have the 73860 non-provantage model

18. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

I believe mine is also the non provantage model. We'll see how they hold up. I will still tie them up as well.

19. Rusty Silence

Rusty Silence Senior Member

Great idea! I might have to do something like this.

20. J_Bryant

J_Bryant Member

just spray the brake cabel and angle lever and spring with lithium grease. Kepps it sliding smooth and wont freeze