1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Angle / Trip Edge Springs / Manhole Covers

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GSEMEDFORD, Feb 11, 2014.

GSEMEDFORD Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

My name is George and I am new to the site. I have a small landscaping and painting company just outside Boston MA and I recently started contracting with the city I grew up in as a plow truck operator in winter.

I have a Fisher Plow, 2003 Chevy HD 1500, the truck is great but I had some issues with hitting manhole covers. I have the plow angle set so it is the least aggressive, but when it hits a manhole cover it jumps about three feet. It is a Fisher 8 foot Minute Mount 2.

I think my plow has springs that are the heavier ones, it seems to take a lot of force to move them. Maybe I should run lighter springs? any other suggestions?

I appreciate the input.

Thanks, George
  2. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

try to drive alittle slower if at all possible
  3. Psdiesel

Psdiesel Junior Member

Every fisher I've ever plowed with trips hard like that. I have a 9ft MM1 on my truck and also plow city streets so I know where your coming from. I will say this that in five years of whacking some wicked manhole covers, drains, water shut offs, etc that its never broken. Try to keep it under 15 mph if you can and just look at as a way to keep you awake/alert.Thumbs Up

GSEMEDFORD Junior Member

yeah this has a trip edge and the springs seem too stiff, I know they make the springs in different ratings, when compared to other people I know with plows, even fishers, theirs are WAY easier to flex the trip edge, I will see about taking perhaps the two center springs out and check it out again, or park it with rolling the trip edge back, maybe break in the springs, thanks for posting! I appreciate the input!
  5. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

It sounds like

a fisher plow tripping, but thats not unusual. try a rubber or urethane cutting edge. urethane is more money but will outlast a rubber or steel edge. Im not able to but I would put a urethane edge on in a heartbeat.