1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow and wing set up on non-mun. dump truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by nedly05, Dec 27, 2008.

1. nedly05

nedly05 Member

I was wondering how contractors who sub to towns/state set up a "regular" dump truck to run a plow/wing/spreader? Do they have a hydraulic pump that runs off the fan belt or something? How much does it cost to set a truck up like this, where do you have it done?

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

well it depends on the size of your truck...

most will use a central hydrolic system.

the prices vary alot....

figure 3500 or so for the hydros.

anywhere from 3k to 15k for the plow

2-5k for the spreader

you would go to an upfitter or commercial plow dealer. I would contact your truck dealer. they will point you in the right direction if they don't do it themselves.

3. nedly05

nedly05 Member

If I had a need I would do it on our tandem, but we have no place to run it. I was basically just wondering after seeing some pics of state plow subs online, it doesnt seem like they had front mounted pumps thogh, I will have to see if I can find the pics again.

4. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

Last tandem we had done cost 15K for front mouned pump, resovoir and solonoid valves, electronic spreader controls, mounting of our plow brackets. Municipalities have umlimited budgets.

5. nedly05

nedly05 Member

Do you have any pics of the setup? was that frames only, or wing and plow too? can you run a setup like that all electric

6. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Municipalities DO NOT have unlimited budgets. Counties in Wisconsin are conserving salt to hopefully make it through the year. Green Bay WI spends $100,000 every time they go out and plow for a storm, they have already plowed 9 times. There are counties wondering what they will do when the budget runs out.

7. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

I'll try to get some pics up soon. Sorry for the mis-understanding, our truck does not have a wing. I was trying to illustrate that it costs much more than most think for municipal type setups. 15K was only for central hydro and setting up spreader and plow. I guess you could run all electric somehow. I think the front mount pump would be easier from a maintenance perspective. For example, something goes wrong with the pump, it is very simple to replace. No crawling around on the ground, not much oil lost. Municipalities run these systems for that reason. With the pump running off the trans. it is much more difficult to replace, and there is the potential to lose more trans fluid and make more of a mess. With electric you would have to design your own system probably, especially if you were to run a plow, wing and spreader all from one power unit. You most likely would not have flexibility to run multi cylinders at the same time unless you designed some kind of priority flow circuit. You would need a big displacement pump and big electric motor because the cylinders are most likely larger on a wing than on a typical small front snow plow. Small pump and motor may work, but would be really slow.

8. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

Bula- I didn't literally mean municipalities have unlimited funds. The county I live in alone orders no less than five new single axle plow trucks per year. The way they are spec'd out with a plow, tail gate spreader, 10 foot stainless box costs over 120K each. I was merely saying that I don't know many people who would have the money to spec out a municipal setup. A small contractor like myself sometimes has problems keeping up with the cost of maintenance and spare parts for a big truck like this. Sometimes when the county or state goes over their budget here, they get bailed out with a reserve fund or rainy day fund. Most companies don't have that luxury.

9. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

You can run a central hydro with a trans mounted pump. You just need what is called a 'hot shift pto' On our truck we have two separate central hydro systems. The hook lift is run by its own pump off the trans. It is a hot shift meaning you can shift it without stopping the truck or using a clutch, I think you could also run it engaged all the time if you were using it for a plow or spreader . The plow and spreader is run off a front pump. Everyone involved said it would be much easier to run two separate systems, as you dont want to even start with a custom designed vavle setup for all that stuff. Also easier from a maintenance perspective. If you really want a truck like you are talking about, it would most likely be cheaper to find a used on at a auction or something. The front pump is much easier like I said. I think it also costs more too. When we ordered our truck, we paid something like $2000 extra for the front frame extentions and stationary front grille and special bumper which is required for a front mount pump. Just my .02 If you need to know anything else maybe I can help. It took us almost six months to get truck, line up installation, order and receive all parts, and have everything installed. The truck body who installed all this stuff had over 150 hours for the installation.

10. nedly05

nedly05 Member

No doubt, it seems like a big project to retrofit a truck to be a plow truck. For some reason it seems to me in states like MA and NH that excavators, truckers...will have a truck set up for plowing and sub out to the state to keep that truck busy and making money in the winter. I am sure I saw pics of 'regular' dumps set up this way I just cant find them. I will search more, thanks for the good info!!!keep it comin, I love stuff like this!

11. LeadDogg

LeadDogg Junior Member
    from NH

i live in southern NH and i see more sub trucks plowing than dot on the main highways... its just easier for the state and like you said for the large companies that cant keep every truck busy all winter, it is an good source of income to make payments and keep guys working. it seems like the subs do most of the plowing and DOT comes behind them and cleans up the ramps as well as salting. most of the trucks that i see are from very large companies that run 50+ tri-axles so they set up half or so for plowing.

12. nedly05

nedly05 Member

Are the trucks they plow with the same trucks they work in the summer? Do they have a the plow wing and sander?What is the name of the company? Thanks!

13. nedly05

nedly05 Member

14. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

Looks good. I wonder if you need a heavy front end like more than 14,600 pounds, the ones in the pics loook like they have 20k front.

15. nedly05

nedly05 Member

I would say at least an 18 for the wing and plow, 20 is better. The town trucks here have more springs on the right side for the wing. they look funny going down the road in the summer.

16. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Buy a used set up if you are looking for a dual purpose truck.Get one with a 4 season dump body.So in the spring and fall it only takes an hour to re and re plow and wing.Get as heavy front axle as possible and put a rubber bumper on wing side.

17. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

If I where to...

Back when I ran spreaders for the state(Mass Highway).I setup a triaxle dump for approx $7,500- with used gear(Live hydraulics off crankshaft,tandem pump,10 yard spreader and new ground speed controls).Add approx $3,000 for a good used wing setup.I already had the front plow and frame...
    When I stopped contacting to the state the rate was $89 per hour and I averaged 250 hours per season.For me it was worth it as other work was scarce during the snow season. The rate is around $116 now with a fuel surcharge based on rack price.If the fuel goes up the state compensates for the rise in price.
    Now here in NH it would not be worth the hassle as the State rate is something like $55 per hour and you have to have a wing.The state provides cutting edges but how do you make any money and pay yourself or a driver at $55 per hour?????Figure $30 per hour for fuel alone!
    I just specked out a new International AWD Paystar(6 wheeler) with a dual purpose body, front 11' Rh benching wing,P/A 11' Dustpan front blade,ground speed spreader controls,on-spot chains,led strobes,electric tarp etc Cost was Aprox $58,000 for the gear and installation.The AWD Paystar was $135,000 for cab and chassis.
    Hope these numbers give you some idea...

18. nedly05

nedly05 Member

Exellent info, thanks. $55/ hour is a slap to the face for anyone trying to make a living with a truck, especially working for the state in which you pay taxes. $116 is decent, if I were in MA I would probably get signed up. That paystar would be $200 grand by the time you got it on the road, but there is wood factor in the visual of what you described:eek: are you going to order it?

19. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Already out working..

I speced that Paystar for a local Town(Jackson NH) as they have had a history of paying for and getting crappy plow trucks.
    I drove the truck back from Tenco(Upfitter) and I have to say I dont think there is much it wont move.They seem happy with it.

11-4-08 010.jpg

20. john mc

john mc Member

nice set up i also have been looking at the new trucks. but its just looking. hope my fwd didn't here that.