1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow AND winch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dave-man, Sep 13, 2002.

1. dave-man

dave-man Junior Member

I have a '00 F250 SD with a Western Pro plow. Does anyone know of a winch setup for the front that doesn't conflict with the plow mount? I don't expect to be able to use the winch and the plow at the same time, but it would be nice not to have to move mounts around.

I contacted Ramsey and Warn. Both suggested rear-mount winches.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have seen two approaches. the first was to somehow adapt a 2" receiver into the fron frame. Then use a slide in mount. This was good because it allowed plowing front and rear. The second would be to make a cradle that would attach to your truck sub frame. This would have to be custom made.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have warns 2" reciever mount winch that goes on the front and rear. when i got my plow i took the crossmember of the mount out and welded the 2" reciever in place of it.

4. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

get your self one of the offroad magazines and look in the ad section. there are several manufactures in their that specialize in front winch mount bumpers.
    dan

5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

dyna plow:
    i think with a front mount bumber it will tick out too far for most mounts.

6. dave-man

dave-man Junior Member

That is in fact the issue. The winch mounts bolt up to the same places as the Western mount. There is no way (I say cautiously) to mount the winch mount behind the plow mount (lots of support structure and the oil cooler). If I mount the winch mount in front of the plow mount (longer bolts, etc), the winch (even without the front bumper) will interfere with the pump and lift frame.

I haven't found a front receiver that will fit without similarly conflicting with the plow mount.

I'm starting to conclude that my only solution will be a receiver-mounted rear-only winch (like the Warn Multi-Mount) and I'll just have to give up on a front-mounted winch. Going to have some long, big, fat power cables.

7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I would take your truck to a welding shop and ask them the same question. You may have to have the plow setup on and the winch in hand. There has to be a way to do this setup. The welding shops around here can pretty much fabricate anything you can throw at them.
    I would bet there is a way to build a 2 inch reciever into the plow mount frame to attach the winch. That way you could use it front or rear.
    Just a thought,
    Mark K

8. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

if you take that front mount piece for the warn winch cut the bolt flange off. thin take your plow mount cut the piece of angle iron out of the middle weld in the warn bracket and thats it.

9. a palustris

a palustris Member

One thing to keep in mind when mounting a winch is that it's not what the winch will pull, it's; what is the weakest link in the system? A friend of mine had a STRONG winch mounted to the front of his 550 a couple years ago when he bought it new. Front mount with the big bumper. He got stuck one day out in some woods and decided to pull himself out with the winch. Well he had a bunch of chips in the back and possibly the chipper was hooked on... what do you know? Winch pulls the front bumper right off the truck. Apparently the metal that was holding the winch on was not as strong as the winch it self.

10. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

he had blue oval disease

11. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

keep in mind the front plow mounts are designed to be pushed against not pulled on with any great force. and yes there are custom bumpers made that don't stick out any farther than a stock one, yet a winch hides inside.
    dan