1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow and Truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Doug Price, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Doug Price

Doug Price Member
    from Ohio

I have a little wile to decide but i am really stuck between getting a 9'2" VXT with wings, or getting a boss wideout. I am going to be doing lots with it. Also stuck between getting a 09 or 10 F350 or 3500HD. Either one would be a diesel and hold one of the two plows above. I heard any 3500 dmax before the year 2011 did not come with a plow package? so i was kind of leaning towards the Ford if that was true. Not looking at modifying the suspension just yet. Appreciate your input.

2. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

Ford for sure. But I wouldnt get a diesel. Get a V10 gas, or if you go Chevy, get the 8.1L.

3. Doug Price

Doug Price Member
    from Ohio

What's the reason for no diesel?

4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I am guessing they are focusing on the diesel + heavy plow = going through front end parts like crazy... I think the ford diesel is almost 400 lbs heavier than the gas engine... Or the fact that fords diesels have not been great since the 7.3 international left.

5. nicknd

nicknd Junior Member
    from MI

Watch for a clean, low(er) mileage 7.3 power stroke if you want to go for a diesel.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the diesel and plow put more stress on the front end
    alot of people run them tho

7. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

What everyone else said. I dont see any advantage. Plus with the cost of diesel fuel lately?? I think its a no brainer to buy a gas truck.

8. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

you dont really buy diesels for the price of fuel like you used to, now you buy them for the longevity of the engines and the torque they provide. if you really NEED a truck of that caliber then its usually better to get the diesel because someone in the market for a truck like that wants it for towing,heavy hauling, plowing etc. if you want a big truck that's diesel just to have, then i would step down to a 250 or 2500 gasser, it will have plenty to offer when it comes to plowing and wont skimp out on towing either. im not saying steer away from diesel, personally i wont buy anything but a diesel(other than my 424 hp mustang=] ) im just saying if you wont use the diesel to its full potential, its wasted money in my eyes.

9. Doug Price

Doug Price Member
    from Ohio

How well will a 2500 hold a VXT with wings. its an 11'2" plow probably weighs somewhere around 1300 and im not big on the look of a leaning truck. But with the diesel i do get what your saying

10. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

if you were to put that plow on a newer f350 or 3500 diesel i believe you would exceed the weight rating on the front axle either way. dont hold me to it, im only saying that because that is one big f*ckin plow for any truck. if i had the option for a new f350 diesel id jump right on it...but im just saying if you dont use them for whats intended they really dont have an advantage other than the fact it will run forever and can pull a house down. they dont get THAT good fuel mileage and around here its 3.50 a gallon to boot.

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

A 9' 2" really isn't that big once you get one. If you wing it, then it's big. The Poly V-XT (heaviest) weights 852 lbs. less the mount. As long as you have a plow prep pack truck, (Ford advice) you will be fine. I would also look for a gas motor if you don't need to constantly tow very heavy stuff. V10s are wonderful engines that provide comparable power without diesel hassles.

12. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

Yea, the diesel engine may last forever, but the rest of the truck wont. Or you may find yourself in a few years just wanting to change to a different truck altogether. Not many people keep a truck forever, or until it falls apart, alot of us upgrade to a new one just because we want to or like the looks of the new ones. Mine is an 06, and its only got 20,500 miles on it lol and I bought it new. I made sure when I ordered mine, I got the V10 AND 430 gears. This way, I got as much horsepower and torque as I could, but still in a gas version.

13. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

thats true i can appreciate that. something about the diesels just keeps me wanting them more and more lol. i want my next truck to be a 2500HD/3500srw duramax/allison...been craving one of thoseThumbs Up

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

My 04 2500hd holds my 1100 lbs plus xls no problem, and I do not believe the VXT is no 1300lbs even with wings on it. I am pretty darn sure about that one. And if you want a diesel then get a diesel and throw a plow on it and it will do fine. Guys on here do it all the time. Good Luck