1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow and truck mods

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sawboy, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

After reading a thread about down pressure, it made me think that my current set up could use some tweaking. I currently have a Wide Out on my 07 F350 DRW. It works flawlessly and pushes mountains of snow. Obviously this means I have to modify it to a point of making it unreliable, and hacked up.

My first thought was that I could increase my productivity by installing door poppers on all four doors. At the bottom of the doors, I would weld steel plates that would double as wing plows. I'd compensate for the cold air coming in by installing an Amish fireplace on the trans hump.

Next up is the plow itself. It only expands to 10'. My thoughts are drill some holes in the wings so I could add 6' extensions to them. This would give me a 22' plow which when combined with my door / wing plows would really scrape and clear the lots I plow. Now, because 6' steel extensions would be very heavy, I plan on adding a small crane to the pickup bed. This will also help me with traction, as the weight of the crane would be over the rear axle directly.

What do you guys think? Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Wow you really put some time into your thoughts. Sounds like a solid plan though.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Think you could save weight on wings if you made them outta plywood. Thumbs Up

4. Sawboy

Kimber, I thought about the plywood. That would allow me to do it by hand, and use a standard 4x8 sheet as well. But I planned on using flared wings to throw the snow, and plywood won't do that. Unless of course I cut some old tractor tires and attached them to the ends of the plywood! The rubber would act as a chute, like on a snow blower!

This would free up the bed as well now since I won't need the crane. Do you think standard 3/4" plywood, or should I use roofing quality plywood? I can roll my Home Depot card financing into my Rent A Center account to get the better plywood.

Thoughts?

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Forget these plans, and go on a whiskey bender. 3 half gallons ought to do it.

6. kimber750

:laughing: Think Lowes has better plywood. And how about cement board for the cutting edge?

7. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Dont you think that 3/4 ply with tractor tire chutes will be a bit cumbersome and excessivly heavy ? Have you given any thought of fabbing up some tinfoil mouldboards (3 or 4 layers thick for strength) and use a cross bracing frame of turkey bones ( their strong , lite and plentyfull this time of year ). Hope your more open to suggestions than Birdd who seems to know it all.

8. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget about a tailgate scraper this will get birds wheels rolling

9. kimber750

This is genius. Hook winch to tailgate so you can scoop snow right into the bed. payup

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No, no electric winch. Make it like a boat crank,,,,,so you gotta get out and do it old school

11. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Not to dis jmac5058 ideas around turkey bones but have you considered broken hockey sticks? Use the blades for cutting edges you will save a ton of money, those fibreglass blades really work well and the handles make excellent reinforcement. Good luck and please post pictures.
    Oh yeah you could probably get this done with only two 24s but if you have a buddy helping better get four just to be safe. Next up candles for marker lights.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I like the tire idea, would use tube or tubless? I would have really wood suggest marine grade plywood and perhaps some 5quarter for back support. don't forget to use bug insecticide unless you're using cedar

13. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

you could just salvage existing car hoods off cars that don't run, should cover a 4ft swatch and then it would have a rolled metal cutting edge that wouldn't damage the road. for wings you just invert the doors and attach the them to the carhood you are using for a blade. duct tape some propane torches to the sides for light, maybe some tiki torches over the top and you have it. lol...

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You guys are extremely creative this morning. I really like the fireplace idea but I think I'm going to use a Dutch oven instead so I can make snacks while I plow. I'm going to fab up a college fridge to the roof since the tailgate/winch combo will be scooping up snow and I won't be able to put supplies back there. My only question is how to wire it. I figured since I have a couple relays from a 1964 Myers plow laying around I could use those. The hard part will be building the inverter to make the ac current. Perhaps I could convert the fridge to dc so it'll run off the alternator. I'll have to think about it

15. kimber750

Just mount windmill next to fridge. This way while you are moving it will power the fridge.

16. dieselss

Hey. What about the Windows frosting up since the doors will be open? Torpedo heater?

17. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You could tell this one was going to take off , keep em coming

18. dieselss

Why do you say that.....shrugs

19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Pics,pics, pics...

20. Sawboy

You're on to something here Kimber! Since I have the space in the bed now that I'm not using the crane, I can put the windmill back there. And since I have a Green Energy biz (I really do, and I have opportunity for others) I can easily source the windmill. This is a great idea Kimber. The windmill can power my Amish fireplace, a fridge, AND I can give it a PTO provision to drive a salter!