1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow and Truck concerns

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by news913, Jan 14, 2011.

1. news913

news913 Member

Hello. I am brand new to the forum and somewhat new to snow removal. I have 2 questions, hopefully someone can help me out, it be appreciated. I was looking into trading in the F 150 STX and going more heavy duty and getting a 3/4 ton truck, I like the chevy's a lot. Was going to purchase 2010 with the Duramax but they are to damn expensive for me, so I am going gasser. I was wondering A) Is the 6.0L sufficient enough for plowing parking lot type jobs, thats mostly what I will be doing. Also anyone know anything about the warranties and how they are affected by putting a plow on. Obviously I wouldn't take it in with the plow on it, if I had a problem, I know that much. I was wondering if it would void it right out, or there is some sort of way around it. Appreciate any kind of help. Thanks!!

2. hightop

hightop Member

Plenty of people out there plowing with much smaller engines. I don't know about warranty concerns, but I can tell you that it's gonna be very difficult to disguise the fact that your truck is set up for a plow. Better talk to your dealer about it first, before purchase, if you want to keep warranty in place. I've never used any where near a new truck for plowing, so hopefully someone with some real world warranty info will chime in & help you out. Best of luck to you!

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i have a 6.0L 2500HD and it is plenty of power for plowing. if your truck has the snow plow prep package a plow shouldnt affect the waranty. still check with your dealer first though...and in parking lots my truck can push a hell of a lot of snow

4. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

If your new vehicle has the plow prep package and the plow is within proper capacity ratings then there is no warranty issue. Keep in mind that things like ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings are not warranty issues and are wear items that are only accelerated by the stress of plowing. The whole diesel thing is silly. There are very few people who actually need a diesel's power. The new gasser trucks are putting out nearly double the power of trucks less than 10 years ago, and with better ,mileage to boot. A 6.0L has plenty of power, much less the new ones with 360/380 and a six speed auto. Of course there is that crowd that will always need to drop 60K on a lifted duramax, smoking stacks, and $5000 wheels just to drive to their $12/hr job.

5. itsageo

itsageo Junior Member

i do 3 parking lots with my truck about 50-60 parking spots and i only have a 1.6L 4cyl. its about the gearing and traction not necessarily the motor size

6. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

we run a 6.0 in our 01 3500 dually and it has plenty of power left for pushing. We run a 9'fisher blade and had no problems this year or last year in the heavy snow we had. I am a warranty investigator for Gm so as long as you have the plow prep package on the truck you will not have any issues with your warranty. Just keep in mind if you hit something and dmage the plow as well as the truck--cal your insurance company and don't try to sneak the big hole in your trans case by your local dealer.....If you are smart with your plow and maintain your truck--you will be fine. We have not had any issues with the 01 related to plowing--just regular maintinence and and a brake job here and there. I was at a shop today where a municipal 3500 crew cab dump 09 with a duramax was getting a new Allison trans under waranty. Get the plow prep pack option--beefier springs, trans and oil cooler-etc

7. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

Itsageo is dead on. If the wheel spin and spin it doesnt matter how much power you have. The bigger engine would be better if you plan to tow or carry large loads, like skidsteer on a trailer or a salter/sander. It would have more get up and go that way.

8. news913

news913 Member

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and bought a 2008 F 250 cc fx4. It is the 5.4L AND it has the Snow plow prep package (473) from the factory. I went with the ford because I couldn't find anything I liked that was reasonable, truck was a decent deal. I was wondering now that I have the prep pack, does anyone know if Ford gives you any crap when and if you come in for repairs? Anyone with personal experience? I am going to try and get some answers from a friend I know who knows a service writer at a local dealership.

9. news913

news913 Member

Well Ford experience at least.....I hope they are as accomadating as GM. Like gm trucks just found a deal with the Ford.