1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow and transmission swapping

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ksland, Oct 18, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I have a 1987 f250 4x4 with a 4 sp manual tranny 4.9L

I found a 1986 f250 4x4 with an auto c6 and a 351w with a fisher plow setup

My questions are being the 86 changed in 87 body wise, Will the plow setup fit my truck without major modifications? And will the driveshafts, crossmember, steering column all work to convert my truck to an automatic?

Please, any info will be greatly appreciated.
  2. RacerX

RacerX Junior Member

While I dont know specifically, but the same engine and trans was used in the 87 so I would assume you could swap it in, both are cArburated this will makeit even easier although it can still be done if the 87 is FI

perhaps www.ford-truck.com could supply more info.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The 86 should be carburated,the 87 would be FI I think.

The plow harness will change over OK.There may be some minor differences,but it will go on.Most of the Ford frames are the same from 81 on.Headlamp connectors are different,but the wiring is the same.

Everything else should work,as long as the wheelbases are the same.The column should swap,but you may have to change over the ignition switch.I know ford had threee different C6 bolt patterns,but the I6 and the Windsor should be the same I think.

You would also need to see if they are both LD or HD trucks.They may have used different size yokes for the driveshaft,so double check them.You can tell by the outer hubs.If they are both the same size on both trucks,you should be OK.

Only thing you may have to adapt is a speed sensor to run the computer if your I6 is fuel injected.