1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow and Diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Upscale, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Upscale

Upscale Junior Member

I had heard that some diesel trucks can't have a plow installed because of weight problems. Has anyone heard anything like this. I am in the market for a used 2007 F350, but if it can't hold a plow, I don't want to purchase. Any help would be great!
  2. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

2006 F250 6.0 Powerstroke with Bully dog power pup and a 760# Curtis SnoPro 3000, works nice :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  3. Lil STX Ford

@ work on a lil storm

4. Upscale

Upscale Junior Member

Great! Do you know if there are any limitations to the size of plow that can be used?
  5. BTB

BTB Junior Member

I have two powerstroke Fords, with Fisher 8' HD's - OBS - so I'm sure the specs would be different than for a newer model.

Try this link, it should tell you what would be applicable for a specific truck.

Nothing like the smell of freshly fallen snow & Diesel! :nod:

6. Lil STX Ford

Money has no limits lol... I only do a few drives, but mainly used it to do the shop's lot when the tractor didn't get to it, we got 24/hr deliveries coming in, so it's sort of a paid for backup. Plow is 7 1/2 with flaps on sides and on top, added Firestone air springs up front so it don't hit hard on our roads. Where I'm from plow trucks aren't really best options with snow accumulations, so basically it's loaders and blowers...

Last year I ran this plow on a F150 small 8, and worked fine, all I added was timbren's in front...

The diesel is awesome on pushing, will go until the blade lifts and truck climbs the bank...

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It just depends on whether or not you want/need to be completely legal.
  8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Look at the Front GAWR on the driver's door spec tag. A truck with the plow package will have a 6000lb Front GAWR if it's a diesel.

The front end of my 07 diesel w/o a plow is 4930lbs so I'm still under 6000lbs with my 9'2" Boss Power-V XT on the front.
  9. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I had a 2005 6.0 with a Western 8'6" MVP plus on it. The truck did not have plow prep. Never had any problems beside i had the snow plow fan clutch installed on the truck cause it would run warm when i went down the highway for more the 15 miles.
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

We (my partner) have 2 SRW F350 diesels, 04's. One with a Blizzard 810, and the other with an 8611.

Plowin machines.
  11. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

H20 just installed the 8'2" Boss on my 06 F250 diesel I love it
  12. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i run a nine foot xblade 08 ford f350 srw crew cab with 6.4 i love it works great. if you look on the fisher ematch it says that you can run up to nine foot xblade.

13. Deco

Deco Senior Member

14:89 diesel plow truck
    wins races , goes to work and pushes large amounts of white stuff

120909 040.jpg
  14. Deco

Deco Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  15. Deco

Deco Senior Member

legal ??? on plow size ??? 11 ft . max with wings ....wouldn't one say ?:salute:

thats like attaching 15 chutes on a front loader shooting "uphill"

some folk just love to see themself post or pose .
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Is that why you have 3 posts in a row?
  17. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

diesel with plow

According to most plow manufacturers chevy diesels can't take a plow due to front weight ratings. I believe this is because chevy runs IFS. I know many people that have them because, like said in a previous post, money talks. Ford still has a straight axle and can, for the most part, carry any plow you want.
  18. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

A Frod F350 diesel can easily carry a good size plow. A diesel engine is significantly heavier than a gas engine, which is why some people say you can't put a plow on a diesel. But "everyone" does it. It may exceed the front axle weight rating and your dealer may refuse to cover repairs under warranty.
  19. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Here's my 2002 F-350 with an 8' Fisher. After plowing with a diesel, I'll never go back to gas. Love this truck.

truck plow.jpg
  20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

i ran a wideout (one of the heaviest 1000lbs) on a 05 ,6.0psd. no problems at all .its now on my 08 6.4 psd

plow 041.jpg