1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow and 6" lift

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rocky383, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Rocky383

Rocky383 Junior Member
    from alaska

I am New to this all and thankfully it seems i sort of stumbled upon a wealth of knowledgeable people. so i am a student and i live in alaska. i starting thinking maybe plowing would be a good way to make money over our long winters. i know almost nothing of the specifics of the work but most of all the equipment. I have a 88 chevy suburban 3/4 ton but its lifted 6" with 38" tires and a winch. Is there anyway to make this work>? i read the recent thread about the winch and plow but i would think the height is more of an issue. Well thanks in advance for any advice/ information.
    Rocky

2. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

not exactly!!!

3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

You can put a blade on a lifted 4x4 with modifications... but I would suggest no winch operated blade! get a good plow and make sure the blade mounts to the truck with the A frame as level as possible...

Also you could do a search and find others who have discussed this topic.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Careful, ceaman, dem's fightin' words!!!:gunsfiring:

Lift Search

If you play with the search feature a little bit, you'll find a lot more threads on the subject.

5. Rocky383

Rocky383 Junior Member
    from alaska

i did a search and found mostly people working with 3" or less, and stock tires. sounded like it could be done but i wsn't sure if it could be done with my situation.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

There's quite a few here who don't see anything wrong with it, but I'm personally opposed to it. By lifting the truck, you're changing the angles of the plow and mount system, thereby changing the stress loads on these parts, possibly raising them outside their designed strength.

The tires are an entirely different issue, for plowing you want a skinny tread to cut through the snow to the hard surface.

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I was curious, so I just put in the word "lift" and came up with 580 threads. Changing it to "lift kit" narrowed it down to 28. And everything I know about the subject of plowing with lifted vehicles, I learned here, so there's no reason to listen to my advice on the subject.

I can vouch for Pelican's advice on the tires though. My first truck (76 F-250 4x4) came with 12x16.5 tires on it and I got stuck in a parking space on a flat, paved street. There was a one square foot patch of packed snow under the right rear tire. :mad:

8. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I know there are people plowing with over a 3" lift. My father has plowed commercially with his truck since 1978. His 78 blazer has a 9" suspension lift, 3" body lift, and 44" tires. The truck has never been stuck. The framework was built by him for the 8' meyer and has never had excessive problems with stress cracks

9. Rocky383

Rocky383 Junior Member
    from alaska

thnks ceaman
    thats exactly what i needed to hear.
    Rocky:)