1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow all the way right won't go left or up

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jleebrant, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jleebrant

jleebrant Junior Member

Bought 2002 Ultra-Mount western 71/2' Pro last year. It would occasionally go left when told to anlge right. Would have to go all the way to right before going left. Other than that it worked well. Did fluid drain by the numbers according to the Western instructions a week ago. Refilled and angled blade left & right. After a few seconds it got very sluggish with a lot of motor running and whining with very little motion. Eventually had to crack connections at angle rams to get air out. After that angling left or right was pretty good but lifting was slow. Lifted and collapsed several times with little improvement. Temperature was above freezing during service. Tried to use plow for first time today and after about five minutes of plowing the plow would not lift or angle. Motor ran at high speed but no movement. Drained and removed resivoir. Had to break ice in drain hole to get fluid to drain. Pickup filter was plugged with slush. Cleaned resivoir, filter and return screen. Refilled resivoir and and pushed angle right. Blade immediatly went full right and that's where it stayed. Will not come back to left or raise. Motor runs and draws hard on battery. Doesn't run free like it did when pickup was plugged. Weather today is below 20 degrees. Sounds like I may have to get unit somewhere warm and completely flush it. Any thoughts? The plow has a 50 Year Anniversary Sticker on it and is a two plug.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. jleebrant

jleebrant Junior Member

I wrapped the pump resivoir with heat tape Saturday night and Sunday afternoon the plow worked like new. Plowed for an hour yesterday and for a few minutes this morning. Must have been ice in the one or more of the valves. Unfortunately this means I still must have some moisture in the system.
  3. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

The best I can think of is to drain it and get some kind of drying fluid in there.

Or, get it to your dealer/service place ASAP and tell them what's going on. I bet they'd know what to do to dry out the moisture.
  4. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

What did the fluid you drained out look like? If you have a heated place to bring it in try draining the cylinders and change the fluid again.
  5. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Undo every last plow piece you can when changing/flushing. Including rams, and esp valves.
  6. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

theres water in your lines and you need to change fluids every year. I know how to do mine myself but i still take it to someone to an equipment shop to have them do it because they always check everything out. I just feel more comfortable doing this. If you don't feel like paying for that then i would at least do it once every couple years. and don't get your fluids changed after the winter because they will collect moisture over the summer, you wanna do it before the season.