1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Advice?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dennykyser, Aug 19, 2011.

1. dennykyser

dennykyser Junior Member

I am new and have read some of the "read me first" posts and have used the search to answer many of my questions. If I missed this in search I am sorry for asking again.

I have a 2007 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab with trans cooler and considering getting a plow.
    Until this year I have always used my 4 wheeler (700 Yamaha Grizzly w 5' Moose Plow) to plow my driveway and Photography Studio driveway.

I sold the wheeler and driveways are just big enough to make snow blowing a pain and probably too big of a chore.

Hiring it out is not really an option, I need to clean it when I have appointments, sometimes late at night.

Looking for a light plow that is easy to put on and off and so new to this not sure where to look. I do not want to buy junk, but will do my driveways and maybe a friends here and there but nothing commercial.

Seems that each mfg claims their plow is the best, so trying to ask here and get some info.

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I have a sno-way. It is very light.Mine comes in at 300lbs. But, it on a ranger. It has 600lb of down pressure wich is awesome for hard pack, ice and if you just want to scrape. Easy on/off. I think whatever manufacture you go with, look for something that has down pressure, is light weight (poly) and easy to hook up to.

3. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I am Western guy, so ,my choice for that truck would be a 7'-6" Pro Plow or 7'-6" Pro Plus and my next choice would be a BOSS 7'-6" Super Duty because they are made right here in the town I live in. You can also get wings for the BOSS Super Duty and Pro Plus so for it would really be between those two plows.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Assuming you have a 1500 truck the 26 series Snoway would be an excellent choice. Light weight, down pressure, EIS* headlight wiring and wireless controls make it a superb performer in the situation you describe.

*http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/eis

5. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

Snowway makes a nice plow but if you plan to expand at all I would definately go with a western or boss. My personal favorite for easy mounting is the boss rt3.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:confused::confused:

7. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I just looked at Google Maps and Russell PA is no more than 50-60 miles from Lake Erie, so he is going to be dealing with some high water content lake effect snow. And from my experience dealing with lake effect snow off Lake Superior is you need a heavy duty plow to push that kind of snow. I would almost recommend one of the 1/2 ton friendly V plows for what he is going to be pushing.

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

How about a diesel along with a 8'2 v.
    Because he'll need the weight.

9. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Nope they are nice but you don't need it, I used to push 10 inches or more of lake effect snow with a 7'-6" Western Po Plow on a GMC 1500 Sierra with 500lbs of sand tubes stacked up against the tail gate and never had a problem it's more technique than weight and brute force. The only problem I had was breaking through the 2-4ft bank left by the parade of plows they run up and down U.S. 41 in Marquette at the end of the drive way going into our parking lot. The only time I have used a 8'-2" BOSS V was on my friends truck and other than that all I have ever moved snow with are 7'-6" Westerns and loaders with a 12ft pusher on it and the loaders with pushers have only been in the last 10 years or so. I have just seen way to many light duy plows twisted and broken from trying to push heavy lake effect snow and I hate spending money twice when you can spend it once and get a product that will do the job just about everytime you need it to when you need it and not sitting at the shop waiting for it to get fixed while the snow keeps piling up outside. I understand that things break and wear out but when you ask a light duty product to do a heavy duty job it just adds up to uneeded repairs costs and lost time that no body can really afford whether they push snow for a living or not.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

He just wants to do his driveway

11. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

He is plowing a business which is commercial even though he owns it and if you get a dealer that wants to be an asshat and deny warranty for any reason they can do it. If he buys the step up commercial snow plow that works on the truck he has he's covered it's just better to be safe than sorry these days and CYA .

12. dennykyser

dennykyser Junior Member

Thanks guys, my studio and home share the same driveway. Its 26' Wide by 60' Long and flat.

I am thinking a Western Plow, as I do want something heavy duty.

I was able to do it pretty good with a Grizzly 700 and 60" Moose plow, so figure my Crew Cab Z71 1500 should do the job.

Its the first time I ever had to buy a plow so had no clue what to consider.
    I want to make sure its easy to put on the truck and take off.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Any of the majors make a plow that will handle your needs. A good dealer should be your first concern.

The easiest would be Curtis/Sno-Pro, their hitch and run system is by far the quickest and simplest.

14. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

If you are willing to buy used, I have a 7.6 Western Pro Plow, Ultra Mount.I took it off an 08 silverado 1/2 ton z71 that I just traded in. It was a 39mnth lease.I have the plow, controller, wiring harness, mount for truck .I also have a 2.5in leveling kit for the truck . Made by Ready Lift.Adds 2.5 inch height front and rear without affecting ride quality. This plow, plus 650lbs at tailgate, will push most any snow you put in front of it. PM me for pics if you are interested.