1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow advice needed

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 04ram1500, Jul 27, 2011.

1. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I have a 2004 ram 1500 and currently have a snowdogg md75 setup which weighs 400 pounds
    I was looking at getting a snowdogg ex80 which weighs 765 pounds.

If i put a set of adjustable shocks, and Timbrens on the front, and 500 pounds ballast in the back will it handle a plow this heavy? Or will it destroy the front end.
    Any input is much appreciated.

2. JD822

JD822 Member

You will definitely tear that front end up and possibly risk frame damage due to the weight. Also good luck finding an iinstaller who will let you due to safety concerns.

3. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I have an MD75 on a '01 Chevy 1500 and I would add stiffer springs or timbrens up front, but my Z71 did fine as long as I had 300#s in the back at all time to level it off. I would highly recommend an HD75 if you are going to add something to the front end anyways. I will never intentionally buy another 1/2 ton again if I plan on plowing with it. A 3/4 ton isn't much more expensive and offers so much more capability and less problems. I just rebuilt my front end after 10 years of abuse...and it wasn't too bad... but you are limited when it comes to ice control. Full pallets and VBoxes can really mess up a 1/2 ton. I would think that the most I would put on a 1/2 ton is a HD75 and a TGS07 with a half skid or a bed full of 5 gal buckets of salt. Just my experience and opinion here. Others may differ...but I do have 3 years of running a similar setup backing my .02$ here.

4. JD822

JD822 Member

I know it is possible to run a half ton plowing. When I first started I ran a Dakota with a 6'8 meyer TM and ran 420#'s of ballast. it can be done. Probably not the brightest thing to do though. But I also quickly realized that a 3/4 ton was the way to go. I know many guys who run 1/2 tons, but with small blades. He wants to put a 700# plus plow on and that is with out the mount. Were talking 900#'s or so. I wouldn't recommend it. Way to much blade for to small of a truck. Just my 2 cents also.

Now tell me, how did you go 10 years before rebuilding your front end? I rebuilt my GMC K2500's every spring. And I used MOOG parts!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

That is what I was thinking myself and it was actually my dealer pushing me to get the heavier plow. "anything to make more money". They told me that the truck would handle the plow fine. I was skeptical at the least.

Thanks for all the input, I already decided not to take that deal.

Also I know a 1/2 ton is not the best way to go, however just starting out I cannot afford to get anything else at this time. Maybe a few years down the line I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton.

6. JD822

JD822 Member

WOW! I am astonishd that the dealer recommended it. Personally I would find a new dealer when you do decide to upgrade. It sounds like they just wanted to sell you a new plow and wasn't concerned about your or the public's safety. A half ton is just not meant to cope with that kind of weight from the frame to the brakes. But I have seen it done and just shake my head. In my area, no dealer would recommend doing that. If you go in and ask them to they will do everything to convince you not to do it because the liability is so high. And you could sue them if something happened due to their recommendation. Glad you passed even if it was a great deal. It can be difficult to do. So I commend you! I also can relate to the affordability and just starting out. I am doing the same right now after being out of business for ten yrs. I was going to buy a F150 and put a HTS or Sport Duty on it, but then in more searching I am finding many 3/4 ton Fords and Chevy's for the 12-15k range. Not cheap, but much better then 40k for a new one. If money is the concern, you would be surprised at how much money you can make doing residentials. Just do a bit of advertising and it will pick up. You can also find a couple of small parking lots to do. Just don't take on anything to big and be competitive. Being an upstart you're not going to make 100k/yr snowplowing. Many of those companies have been doing it for decades and have slowly built themselves to what they are. But they also have thousands, if not hundreds of thousands in their equipment. Just do what you and your truck can handle, be competitive, offer great service, and in a few years with a bit of determination and hard work you will be doing good. Good luck on your venture and be safe out there. Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is nothing reasonable you can do to make the truck handle that plow. The live axle is not heavy enough in any way, the frame is not heavy enough with out bolstering its entire length, in short I can think of no faster way to destroy that truck then to hang a EX80 on the front of it.

8. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I did some minor work...but the truck only did a fraction of plowing for the first 7 years. And for seven years it had a 6.8' plow and never salted. So I wouldnt consider it 10 years of heavy commercial. More like 3 years commercial before a rebuild. But my ABS and brakes were done all the time because the stupid sensors getting screwed by salt.

9. JD822

JD822 Member

I could see that. Thumbs Up They must of been the oem's. For some reason when the ones from the factory wear out, they become problematic. I had a friend with a blazer (didn't plow with it) and he got tired of replacing with the Moog's. So he paid big $ to have the dealer put OEM back in it and they lasted 6 months. Half the time the Moog's lasted. I think if I had to do it over again I would try the Raybesto's Professional grade and see if that would of changed anything. I ended up selling the truck before doing it all over again though. Just to expensive. I really like the ride of the IFS, but man plows tear them up. Good luck with your truck and your plowing this winter. Hoping for allot of snow and $$$.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011