1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pleasssssssse Help More Steer Problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mylittlescoop, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

1990 DODGE RAMCHARGER

Having a major steering problem, any help would be appreciated PLEASE!

I have a MAJOR steering issue. There is about 3 1/2 inches of play in the steering wheel before the tires even move. It is so bad that the wheel even squeeks.

I have been trying to diagnose this I put a new set of tires on the truck it helped only a little bit with gas milage, new tie rods have been installed, ball joints are ok but still can not figure out what is causing this. I want to say it could be the steer box but I want to get as many opinons as I can get before I keep dumping money into something.

The truck is all over the road I had to get off the express way becasue the steering was so bad. Can anyone help ? Thanks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much :)

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

if the tie rod ends have ALL been repaced and the axle isn't moving odds are it's steering box related, either the box itself or the box mounts. Simple to diagnose- have someone get in the truck and start it then turn the wheel back and forth only the amount of the play in the wheel. Now you look under the truck and under the hood looking for the culprit. Follow the steering shaft (also could be the problem- it was a weekness on older Dodges) to the box and beyond.
    it should be very evident this way.

3. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

Thanks JUSTME I am going to check it out ,just wanna try to make sure that I look at it all, They said tie rods got them done they were bad but did not solve my problem,looking into steering box just trying to do process of elimination

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Look at the shaft for the steering wheel , bet you the problem is on the shaft half way up . ( done 3 in the last 4 years)

5. blkberry

blkberry Junior Member

Check the slip joint on the steering colum, about half way in the engine compartment. If not check gear box. Do not be in a hurry while doing checks, you will miss something!!!!!!!

6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I have had 4 of these type dodges and run a '90 even now. It is the bottom U-joint on the steering shaft right at the steering box. The factory one is just worn out. There are several aftermarket ones to replace the lower steering shaft and the lower u-joint. One I use is from Borgeson Universals. There is another from Flaming River or something similar. I mail ordered mine and put them in myself in about 2 hrs. Try it, you'll like it. Cost was about $250 with lifetime warranty & shipping. :)

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Guy's & Gals
    With the truck all over the road, it can also be caused by the cast & camber being off. I had a truck that went down the road fine if it was dry, but let a little rain get on the road and watch out. Could barley keep it on the road. After almost running off the Eway at 65 MPH I took it right to a shop that did nothing but front ends and frame work.
    The last guy who did my front end alignment did not set the C&C right. I told him to make sure the steering wheel was straight when it was done, well it was but all over the road. The frame guy got it right and I could then go down the road and let go of the wheel and it would hold a straight line.
    Now I'm not saying that you don't have a steering column issue just keep a open mind and if all else fails find a guy who does nothing but front end work and steering column rebuild's.

Good Luck Mike

8. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

---Take the Advice listed below--& I have an 88 DODGE--I just installed the Universal KIT--in the center of the Steering Columb--$20.00 Bucks--at MOPAR Dealer--& the Heavy Duty steel Plate that goes under the Steering BOX--another $ 20.00 odd Dollar Item at Mopar--No more White Knuckel Driving!--Streight as an ARROW!--I also Installed New Bolts to hold my Steering box ON!--Did it All Myself! & I*M in my 70s--about an Hour?--if the Neighbors didn*t Bother ME?--& Cleaning UP every thing took Longer than Putting It back Together!--I was Told MOPAR has this Problem--for some TIME?--Dono? Fixed NOW! asa It looks Complicated --but--Its NOT!--EASY!-if I can DO IT!--any One CAN!--GOOD LUCK!--Ole JIM--