1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please vote - 45 pound plastic vs snowbear plow for Grand Cherokee?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cappaj1, Feb 5, 2002.

1. cappaj1

cappaj1 Junior Member
    from buffalo

Anyone know anything about the Solotec brand personal snow plow? It looks like a plastic v shaped plow that just attaches to the bumber of a car or suv, weighs about 45 pounds and it only costs a little over $400. There video at http://www.solotec.com/action2.html looks like the thing really works!

I'm almost ready to buy a snowbear plow - http://www.snowbear.com/snowplow_features.html -that bolts to my suv and has at least up and down electric control and manual tilt side to side. But it costs about a grand new. It weighs over 200 lbs.

If all I'm going to do is plow my own driveway and then remove it each time anyway, is this Solotec thing worth a shot? Or should I stick with the heavier, more functional snowbear.

I know most you guys plow for a living so either one is sort of a joke, but as i respect your opinions, please vote for one or the other for a poor soul like me who doesn't have much money, or a good back. Thank you.
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy Member

will this ever end? buy the snobear and be done with it. good luck.
  3. casey

casey Banned

I bought & used a snobear for 10 min. POS. It ranks high on my all time dumbest purchases.
    Buy a freakin' good snowblower instead of a fake plow.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2002
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't know anything about the Solotec. I checked the vehicle application for it and there was an asteric beside Jeep Grand Cherokee. The footnote said you may have "special" large tires. If you do, it states that you should choose another vehicle for this plow. So check out real careful how this will work on your Cherokee. Second, they sell replacement blades for that plow for $40. Since they so prominently offer replacements, I'd suggest buying a couple of replacements if and when you get the plow.

Maybe somebody else has some experience with this.(?)

Good Luck
  5. pelican briefs

pelican briefs Junior Member

snowbear plow

I know how frustrated you must be getting, but putting a plow on a jeep with no frame is a lesson in futility. I've heard of guys plowing with two wheel drive with about 700 lbs in the bed, chains, and a running start. Try checking out whatsthebest-lawnmower.com and go to the forum, much helpful info. I use a snowblower now, and they can move alot of snow in a small time frame. You sound young and healthy, for about a grande you can buy a new ariens, and get a 3 year warranty, and you know it will work for you. Good luck....Leo
  6. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

im with casey buy a snowblower
  7. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2002
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

What's that saying about a dead horse?
  9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

"The more you beat a dead horse, the worse it stinks."

(I think that's the one you meant.)
  10. bubble boy

bubble boy Member

snobear, snowblower, shovel with two feet and a heartbeat, who cares anymore.
  11. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Come on guys he wants to be a plowhead but doesn't have the right equipment. ;) :D
  12. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

snowman back plow? think of that?
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hadn't heard that one Digger, but it works better than the one I had in mind...;)
  14. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Buy the Snow blower
    If you ever sell or trade your truck your out of the money
    the snow blower will last for years to come
    and it will all ways have resale
    the time you mess with them make sift plows you could have the
    drive done
    just buy a nice big one
  15. thegrasscatcher

thegrasscatcher Junior Member

Im getting one of these for my wife's focus as a joke!!!! Man.. i knew I could find something to waste my hard earned money on. hahaha.. she'll probably get a good laugh out of it. And it will look good on my web site.

16. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone is saying to you to go with a snowblower. For the third time, I am telling you that you are much better off with snowblower. And I am not going to repeat why you should go with a snowblower. Just buy a snowblower and be done with it. No worry about getting up at 2am to clear the driveways, no worry about breakdown, no worry about wasting money. Your jeep is not designed for snowplowing, and the cheap lightweight snowplows like snowbear is not going to last very long and would be a waste of money. For now, just get a snowblower, then in future when it's time for you to get a new vehicle, you can get the one that is designed for snowplowing.
  17. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Just buy a darn snow blower! Then, you can tell everyone how you put 300,000 miles on it.:rolleyes:
  18. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

you know that by the time this gets all sorted out it will be spring anyways. Go with a snowblower
  19. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

One of our local news stations does a report called "can you beleave it" where they test products and rate the results. A couple of weeks ago they tested this plastic v-plow your speaking of on a mini van (lol!). Whatta joke...looks like the same material a little tykes toy is made of! The news was enthusiastic about this plow and even made a joke by putting a "Joes snow plowing" sign on the side of the mini van and saying "you can even make extra money with this plow after you do your own drive! I thought oh great! Im gonna see Honda acords trying to plow drives with this! ROLFLMAO
  20. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member