1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please throw numbers at me

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cb171985, Jan 3, 2012.

1. cb171985

cb171985 Junior Member

my boss offered me use of his spare truck to me for break down coverage. he has a gmc 2500 with a 3 plug fisher mm2 that i could rent from him to mount my plow on in the event my truck is in the shop. neither of us have had to do this yet but what would be a fair daily price to offer him for the use of the truck but with my plow? i would be using it on storm days only and mine will be going into the shop 1/9/12 for 10 days so if you guys could throw some numbers at me it would be a huge help.
  2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I like this idea, but i think you should work a # from him rather than offering a #. If you think his # is too high than counter offer. "Renting" a truck for plow use is going to be substantially more $ than a normal rental car.
    On a side note, unless your truck is being rebuilt from top to bottom and front to back, 10days in the shop is too long. Maybe try a different shop.
  4. cb171985

cb171985 Junior Member

yeah, thats a good point. we're pretty close so our last conversation he left it in my court. ill ask him for a price but to be honest neither of use have had to pay to rent before so we dont know any market prices. yeah, my truck is going to be in about 10 days for body work. i was rear ended but its driveable so usually it shouldnt be a problem. thing is it happend right before my inspection sticker expired so i cant get it inspected untill its fixed thus not driveable without getting tickets
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'd take the chance without the inspection sticker.Tix is going to be less then paying your boss and mounting your plow. What happens if you use his truck and something happens to it?
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's where I would be concerned. I'd rather have my own truck. If something major were to happen to the truck it could strain the relationship with your boss.

7. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

it tell him hes your boss he makes way more money than you and he should loan u his truck if anything breaks split it :)
  8. cb171985

cb171985 Junior Member

good point, one of the things i've been thinking about. im not to sure how much a ticket would be for no inspection sticker and how many times could i get hit for it if i dont get my rig fixed till the spring? are they going to keep letting me drive it if the bust me a few times? if we have a couple more weeks of this dry weather i'd be ok and my truck would be fixed. strange position wanting/not wanting snow at the same time
  9. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Thats a tough one. Say you use his truck, pay him for it and all is fine. Then a couple weeks or months later, he has the trans. go out or other problems. If the truck has been trouble free to that point, he may think it was something you did, while you were using it. It could put major strain on your relationship with him. I would take your chances putting it in the shop and tell them its a rush job. Mabey line up a sub if needed, just in case. Good luck either way.
  10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think I would try this. Not to mention the fact that to date this winter has been fairly light you probably would only miss a plow or two with being down ten days. If you are set on doing it then maybe you should tell him that he is using your plow on his truck so the rent should be significantly less after all its your plow taking most of the abuse. If he has a plow for that truck then I would just use his equipment and agree on an hourly payroll rate for the time your truck is down. Also any reputable body shop should be able to do an inspection. Check with them to see if they can do it while its there in the bay-one stop shopping so to speak. Btw...the ticket for no inspection in Pa is about $110 so its probably pretty close to that where you live.