1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please read this post and let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mc1, Apr 28, 2007.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i plow in upstate ny i was wondering if anybody would use a service that would come and fix plows out in the field i know from personal exp. that no matter what extra parts you carry it always seems to be the one you dont have that breaks. I am looking into setting up a rig with parts from all major plow manufactures if you would want only the parts this would work too. my truck broke twice this year it would have been nice to have 24 parts / repair acess. i know most big companies have back ups and service trucks but i think it might be worth investing please let me know if you would use such a service and or if you of one that already exists
    thanks Matt
  2. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

thats a great idea.... however there are a few things i could see as negatives.
    1. It might be faster for people with broken plows to drive to you instead of you dispatching someone, they trying to find it, etc.
    2. Getting ur name out the first couple years would be the hard part. But after that, u'd have it made.

Very good idea tho.... i'd use it, however im in MN
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You would have to carry a bunch of stock that may never be used or sold and a welder and steel pieces. I have seen a few times where someone that's knows what they are doing could get a truck back in service,
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Cost of inventory and equipment would be high, as would travel expense and payroll. Where do you find a guy capable of diagnostics and repairs to multiple brands of plows willing to work for a rate the customer would pay. Diagnostics ability would be the key, a good diagnostician can keep 3 good wrenches humming. Would you be willing to pay a travel charge on top of a premium labor and parts billing? Factor in the increased time field work in adverse weather always takes and the bill would have to be huge, or the service would fail.
  5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

You could probably make some good money doing that. I would probably have a 24-hour during storm shop & a mobil repair station. You might even think about having a couple rentals at ridiculous prices so you make money there as well.
  6. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

You would also need to have contracts lined up or have credit card pmt over the phone so people don't try to stiff you if they fix it while they are waiting on you.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Subtract another 3% from the bottom line
  8. twodan

twodan Member

just build in the 3%, and offer 5% off for cash. we build in the 3%, but don't offer 5 off for cash. too late once in the payment type in the computer. ours will not simply take 5 off the bottom line. we need to do it to every line item, sucks.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's hard to get cash as an up front deposit as he was suggesting. We use CC payments for driveways. if you have a contract, or are on will call we take pre-payment in the form of a CC over the phone. Save getting there and finding the job done and you traveled for free.
  10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have thought about this also, problem would be finding the "right"person, capable of diagonisng all types of plows. Here in Rochester, there are no shops open after 5 or on weekends (only NAPA) if somthing happens your on your own for the most part. I keep a good amount of parts at the shop, but not as many as I used to when I only had one truck. Now we are up to 4 trucks Fisher V's, I have two extra (straight)blades sitting in the shop & I have the adaper to run them (one of them) if needed. Ussally though we just divide up the work, or call in a sub for a couple hours. If you are serious talk to Jeere Heyer, he has this type of service in Erie PA.
  11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

open all nite truck-plow repair

I ask a local snow plow truck body dealer what he thought of opening during a snow event. He said if it would pay for it self he would stay open. He said he tried this and lost money.

If you were open to keep your own rigs operating then maybe fixing someone else's plow might make sense. You have to be there to solve the problems in your equipment so the times your rigs are all running you don't do anything maybe fixing someone else's equipment would generate more income.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We find it quite profitable to have the shop open during snow events. It's the concept of a road service that I can't see being profitable.
  13. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

We have a couple of place that stay open. Most do not.
    It would be a great concept. We have enough guys that we have a couple of guys that have almost a complete setup worth of parts and can fix everything. We are clear with our subs that they can have what ever equipment they want however we can help with this brand more than all the rest put together.

You would quickly come into the issue of service. If you are at site A with the Mom and Pa guy with one truck and At site B I need you I will not want to wait or have my subs wait....
    You would probably lose me the second time you put me off more than one hour.