1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please pardon my ignorance BUT

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moose's Mowing, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

For those of you who do driveways, do you salt and/or sand in conjunction with plowing. Out of all the local plow trucks I see running around, I'd say around half have a tailgate spreader mounted. I'm just starting to offer plowing this winter for my mowing customers (I know, like everyone else on here lately), I don't have any intentions of picking up any parking lots unless they fall in to my lap. I certainly won't turn them down if I can make some $ doing them. But I'm planning to stick to driveways.

So how many of you guys salt or salt & sand a driveway. I'm not sure how popular treating driveways is around my area. I've never actually seen any guys doing it on a driveway but I'm sure I'll run into the occasional steep drive that will NEED salt and sand, or at least just salt.

The local Ag center to me sells bagged salt by the skid. I assume it's a ton but haven't priced it yet. For the little bit I do I'm thinking a skid will last me all winter pretty easily. So getting salt isn't an issue, but what's the deal with the sand? Is this strictly for a traction aid or is it used to "water down" the amount of salt being put out? In other words, is sand cheaper than salt and used to spread the salt a little longer vs just spreading straight rock salt?

I'm not going to advertise salting but I don't want to lose a potential good customer over not offering it. So when the question arises, I want be prepared as far as understanding what all needs to go into this. thanks in advance

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on the customers wishes, You should try to sell it as a seperate charge, but explain it's for safety reasons it should be applied. I do it on a as needed basis, but if they want it all the time I'll be more then happy to do that & charge them

3. BC Handyman

yes sand traction, salt melts ice, usually sand is used on gravel drives

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i do not advertise it, but carry a yard of it in the bed of my truck for ballast. in some instances i have thrown some down to get myself unstuck. on some driveways i'll offer the service if i think it needs it. i make money, and it makes getting traction easier the next time i need to plow.

5. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

gotcha. I think what I'll do is carry a few bags of salt along and just use the walk behind spreader if I need to. I really don't wanna use my current pickup as a salter, which is why I don't want to offer salting at all. If the need is there, then maybe I can justify a rear spreader but for now I'll do it the old fashioned way.

thanks

6. BC Handyman

I do own a small salt spreader, but I have never used it yet, as for driveways,walkway & sidewalks I only use salt or melt & have always done it the old fasioned way, by hand or with a push spreader, been doing it that way for over 8 years. If i were you I would ask every customer if they want it(for x amout per application) real good $ to be made salting. If they dont want it, I make them sign the contract saying they dont want it, this will help if there is ever a slip & fall, vehical accident ect.