1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please make your plow blade visible to other motorists!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Roger Dodger, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I almost bought the farm tonight from a thoughtless plower that had a dark blade w/ wings, no marker poles and his front wheels were on the centerline of the road to boot!:eek: My stomach ended up in my throat as I also lost a year's worth of heartbeats! He was travelling towards me pretty fast and on a lightly snow covered road, I had to evade slowly to avoid a serious drop-off at the berm. Fate had it that my blade happened to be off today or else!!!

My blade is solid yellow w/ reflective tape at the top and base of the marker poles. Please take a few minutes to assure that your setup can be seen from a reasonable distance by oncoming motorists during evening travel. Thanks.

2. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Thanks Roger. I'm planning some reflective tape as we speak!

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Yes a definite must!! I almost was hit pulling in front of a plow truck running down the road with no lights on, dark truck, dark colored plow a couple of years ago. I painted my wings bright yellow to match my plows because I hated that they were black. Replacing the rubber on those with the yellow Urethane also helped to make them more visible. People may recognize a plow & allow for clearance, but they aren't really going to expect the extra wing when they get close probably.

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Dont get me started about the yelling matches I've had with guys who wanted to paint thier plows balck or other dark color to match the truck...

5. copandplower

copandplower Member

Roger, Im glad you started this thread. Ive got a western, we all know its a dark colored plow. I try to work as safe as I can, I will be doing something to make my plow more visible.

Rick

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

I hear you .. I have seen some scary people out there.. Black plows , What kinda comm0n sense is that ... It's hard enough to judge at night in bad weather.. Just add alittle more unknowns... I was thinking of painting a bright yellow strip on both edges of my new Western plow, Or was even thinking of a way to use lighted guide posts, like those lighted CB antennas ? maybe just put a light inside of the hollow orange ones, DOnt know it that would work , but that would mke the plow more visible to motorists and the plower too.... Anyone else have an idea for the marker poles.. ??

7. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Why don't they make the marker poles out of something reflective??

I will add some reflective tape to mine after reading this thread.

8. bwamx

bwamx Member

Marker Poles

These markers are from western . I use to run the the regular ones with the flags but they break too often .
    These are hi visable orange plastic tubing with a stripe of
    white reflective tape at the top.
    The tape shines very well from the truck lights when plowing
    and they are very visible to plower and other vehicles.
    Hope this helps.
    Bob

plowmarker2.jpg

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Watch out for that plow

Kinda makes me like the big white plow with the red stripes on the end's even better. Big plow at 10 ft for plowing 8' for travel and easy to see.

Straight blades have the same striping on the end's.

Jerre

10. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Are you guys having good luck with the reflective tape actually staying "stuck" in place? Just wondered and if so what kinda width are you using? Thanks in advance.

11. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

Ever thought about putting marker lamps on the plow markers? These lights can be bought at any 18 wheeler truck store they use them on the top of a stainlessteel piece of pipe and attach the pipe to the bumper ends so they have a visable refrence of the front bumper. We could use them for our plows!!!!

12. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Marker lights and lighted CB antennas would snap right in half the first time the plow tripped....unless its a fisher with a bottom trip but even then its alot of shock and jolts going through the plow every bump or curb so how long would they last?? My guess would be not long at all.
    Eric

13. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

My friends fisher blade is bright yellow. thats like just enought
    right there. He painted his edge orange with red and white
    reflective tape on the side of the plow. He also has the big orange
    markers. He also has hid plow bracket orange. Then for his hopper, He gots some bright orange straps holding the salter down. Nice set up he gots.
    Thanks,

14. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

Wal Mart and auto supply stores carry adhesive reflective tape. I have found that the good stuff by 3M is only at the auto stores. It adheres quite well and I would suggest you either apply it in a warmed garage or remove the markers and bring them inside until warmed. 3M stuff reflects much more than some of the other brands.

I wouldn't recommend lights on markers since they prolly wouldn't last long for obvious reasons. About a 3" length of reflective tape at the tips should do the job.

Today, I saw a few heavily rusted blades and even a black painted blade. No markers on any of them as well. :mad:

I applaud those of you that have already done so, or are about to make your blades more visible. That shows responsibility and consciencousness.

15. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn Member

I used the reflective tape like tractor trailers have around them. A good quality 3M product. In addition to applying it on the back and sides of the plows,I went vertically up the outside edges on the front sides. It's not holding up well on the fronts.

16. MLB

MLB Senior Member

yep

the western markers and painting it yellow.:waving:

17. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

U edge and Tape...

Ok, so the plow is 8' of clear polly, going to run High lights as well as the ones on the push bar, but need to paint the plow frame which is black since I bought it,,, Knowing what the plow goes through, I thinking about painting it a western red and use the reflective Tape on the sides and top, then bury it under clear coat for protection. Do you think the clear coat would take away from the reflection of the tape? I would not think so, but wanted to ask the experts..

18. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

I can't vouch for the good 3M stuff but I had some cheapo brand not reflect very well when I applied a clear tape over it... thinking it would last longer in the elements. Removed that stuff quickly and have "stuck" with un-altered 3M ever since. Test a small piece and compare it in the dark near a normal piece using a flashlight from a distance. Sometimes reflective tape relies on un-impeded lightbeams to achieve good results. Certain "top" coatings could confound lightbeams and have undesirable results.

Yes, it appears that the yellow Fishers, Diamonds, & Meyers as well as the white Blizzards illuminate better from oncoming headlights. Far smarter color choice than red, orange, blue and worst of all, black!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2003