1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please look at these 1-ton dumps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Im currently trying to get rid of my 97 and 84 and getting an 04-07 GM 3500. I would like a diesel but i dont consider it a necessity at all. I think a gasser may be a better fit for me based on useage as well as cost. This one has been my favorite so far, the only thing i see so far thats weird is that the tailgate isn't in the hinges in the back so i'm curious about that. Anyone see anything else? I like how its already black to match my 06! Is there anything i should really look at when i see this thing? I may post some more links as I find them but for now this has been my favorite!

Thanks guys!

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...chevbuick&car_id=283138629&dealer_id=57030676

This ones not bad, don't like color or the mileage
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...price=&cardist=36&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. mcwlandscaping

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

No way would I pay anywhere close to asking price on the red one. The other two look good though

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would keep the 97 for a spare though. Isnt gonna cost you muh to keep it so why not?!:)

5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

It seems that the black '06 gasser may be the best fit for YOU, but the silver diesel isn't priced bad either IMO. Your money, do some good research into them, and decide what best fit's YOUR business needs.

As for the tailgate, I'd bet the sales lot guys were just messing with it and either aren't strong enough to get it back in, or maybe smart enough......... ;)

I'd suggest looking into the hoist set-up's of each truck as well. Electric over hydraulic? PTO hydraulic? Central hydraulics? Scissor's hoist? 2 way ram? Dump angle?

JUst a few things to look at. I'm sure if you have a current dump bed, you've got a good list of ideas of what you're looking for.

Good luck.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I like the black gasser the best, looks really clean and love the low mileage on it. The silver Duramax would be OK, too. Pass on the red one for that price. Way too expensive IMO.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Fold down sides is a plus for the red one, but I agree with the others.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

9. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I would never buy a gas dump....honestly I dont get the guys who have diesel pickups and gas dumps...makes no sense...I guess its more of a status thing?

10. mcwlandscaping

I don't know if you've ever tried to but try to find used GM diesels around you....you may find some, now, be picky like me and try to find the one that is exactly what you want! And i wanted a duramax pickup. That's why i bought my truck and to this date its been the nicest used one on any lot around here. i found what i wanted locally and knew that i had to jump on it. I hate going a long distance for vehicles as it just uses up time that is completely booked now with work. Trying to find a used diesel dump truck setup how i want will be near impossible and if i found it whoever had it would want top dollar, i'm sure, especially locally....and i certainly can't justify buying new. A gas job will do everything i want it to do, just maybe a little slower off the line when i have a heavy load on.

11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

are you going to be driving this or is it going to be a employees truck with a landscape trailer behind it everyday? the black gasser has a mm2 setup already which is a plus.

12. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

after looking at the carfax i would not buy the black chevy. accident reported and a few failed inspections on a 06 with less than 40k. 3 owners too, id keep looking. the gray truck has had a few owners too.

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

good call sno commander

14. mcwlandscaping

Thank you very much! I wonder what the accident may have been or why the failed inspections! Ill probably still look at it but that gives me some serious doubts about it!

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't use the dump much then spending the extra on diesel isn't worth it. Sure a gas one is probably worse on fuel but if it only sees a few thousand miles a year it would take forever and then some to pay for the difference in price if you went with a diesel. And maintenance is cheaper. And a 6.0 gas dump truck is going to be slower then a duramax one too, but it's a dump truck it's not meant to be a race car.

I say go gas unless its on the road daily towing and hauling large amounts and will get alot of miles put on it to justify the extra cost of a diesel.

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Hard to belive this is coming from a new Duramax owner himself....

17. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

the black one looks to have a bent tailgate, its clear he left the tailgate down one time while trying to dump it, and the tailgate caught on the tow hitch and bent the piss out it, now the tailgate doesnt line up.

18. mcwlandscaping

LOL what he says makes sense and is what i was thinking as well....as much as i would love a Dmax dump truck, its not the best business decision!

19. mcwlandscaping

I bet the only thing that's bent is that top rail a little bit. I see A LOT of dump trucks like that from people dumping them and realizing the tailgate is hitting the trailer hitch....ive seen a lot worse damage from it too, i would bet that with this truck the operator realized what happened pretty quickly. The tailgate isn't latched in on either side so ide bet the sales people or something took it off and couldn't get it back in...or didn't know how LOL

Despite the fact that its been in an accident and failed a few inspections that could be anything (which could be good or bad i guess). Could be a small fender bender that was reported and the failed inspection could be for some small thing for all anyone knows. I guess its more of the current condition of the truck that matters? I guess one could say that because of those failed inspections the truck could have had some neglect at some point but again, who knows. I'm not downplaying the situation and trying to make it sound like a better truck for myself, but just don't want to count it out yet without looking at it first.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I agree yes and no, but it depends on what you plan on doing with it... But this has been argued like no tomarrow already on the gas vr. diesel thread...

I like the black one myself... Nothing beats a matching fleet...