1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 1999 GMC 1500, Dec 30, 2009.

1. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

Hey guys I have a fisher mm1 from 2000 and the problem is that when you raise the plow up it works perfect but if you move the joystick right nothing happens and if you move the joystick left it goes up but when you let go it drops. So if anyone has any ideas to fix it that would be great we are haveing a huge snow storm.
    Thank you!

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Is this a SEHP .. does the motor function ? It sounds like S2 is not working properly..

3. htmsupply

htmsupply Junior Member

check the wires & connectors , mine had a broken wire on truck side of harness in the connector.

4. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

The motor still functons. Thank you guys

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My plow will do this sometimes- SEHP as well. Make sure your Coil is wired correctly- sounds stupid but the guy I bought mine from had the negative and positive wires connected backwards and both of the cables he used were black so I couldn't tell. Anyways, I rewired it and used a new Fisher coil and it almost fixed it completely. I then cleaned all the connections on the hookups (truck/plow connector), took out all 3 cartridges and cleaned them good. Then put some new plow fluid in and its been working fine since.

6. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

What's sehp

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Either the controller, or the control harness I would bet. Sounds like the controller though, too many functions....misfunctioning.

View attachment 101.pdf

8. plowinginma

from MA

Solenoid Electrical Hydraulic Pack SEHP... This is the first electric pump setup with the piston built into the housing... I seriously don not think it is a controller.. ( the motor would not function if the controller was bad) but that's every ones answer to electric problems.. (an expensive guess).. You should check to see if you have power to S2 when activate the right angle function.. Check to see if the coil has power.. and also check to see if it is magnetized if there is power...if no power.. check the harness for a broken wire..

9. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

Alright thank you I'll do that now(while it is snowing) haha

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The Motor will run even with a faulty controller so long as it's not that function that is damaged.

It's not a matter of guessing, it's a matter pure luck. :D

Could there be an issue with the S2 cartridge? Absolutely. But if the plow will raise, and you go to angle it right and it won't, and if you angle it left it will raise the plow instead, but lower once you let off the left button......doesn't fit. S2 doesn't play any role in lowering or raising as far as I know. Coil activation test....absolutley. That's too many issues involving too many components. I would first go with controller to coil problem, meaning any path it takes to get there. Connectors, harnesses, and the controller itself. Start with the simple stuff just as you suggested, hence why I also put forth the control harness test.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Controller itself or a control harness issue as Ryan already stated. Easy test to narrow it down between the two..

Raise the plow and immediately (before it can drop) disconnect the controller. If it stays up then the controller is defective.

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Where in NH are you? If you're close to Nashua at all I could give you a hand if you need it! But what are the odds out of the whole state that you're close by lol! Well if you are, hit me up!

B&B and Ryan have got you covered thus far on the diagnostics!

13. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

haha thank so much guys i tryed changing out the fluid then i looked at the cables and now it wont work at all. so tomarow i am going to bring it to Langs Corner Garage. One last thing is that this sounds like a stuiped question but i want to clean all my cables that connect to my battery, what should i use to take the rust off. thank you again :) :)

14. plowinginma

from MA

Brake Kleen.. Works the best for the plow conectors.. And nothing like a good old wire brush on the batery cables..

15. plowinginma

from MA

You are right .. S2 has nothing to do with up or down.. However it has every thing to do with right... and partially with left.. When S2 is not activated or shifted it can cause the plow to go up when asking it to angle left.. Personally I don't think S2 itself is the problem.. However I think it is more likely a broken wire not giving power to S2.. And yes controllers do and can go bad..( most people don't have a spare)..But it is more rare than one might think.. especially the box joystick.. If it was a fish stick I would be more apt to agree with you.. When I attend Fisher School they discourage part swapping and guessing as to what may be the problem..And yes it is very hard to sometimes help the people here in this forum.. SCAT to most here is a weird fetish ..LOL I fix sooo many plows in a season that come in after people have just thrown parts at..( Controller is the #1 part changed with the motor next and the pump #3.. When all they needed was a solenoid).. I just don't like to see someone spend alot of money with out having at least checked the simple stuff out first.. He is going to Lang's.. They are very sharp and will have it fixed in 20 minutes.. And more than likely it is just a broken wire.. I am not sure if they do repair harness ends or just jam a new harness on.. Maybe the OP has a bud that he can try a controller.. It would be a real quick check with a big snow storm coming.. I would even think Lang's is open tomorrow for parts!!:D Leet us know what the problem was..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010