1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please help.......

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by gkp, Nov 2, 2008.

1. gkp

gkp Member

I am bidding a 2 acre lot with 270 squares of sidewalk. the lot is very wide open so it will be easy to plow with tons of room to put snow. I am however very concerned with drifting...... the lot is on a hill surrounded by farm fields and I am confident we will have 2-4 very windy storms this year. am thinking of probably bidding about $500 for the lot and walks and $250 per ton for salting. It will get it done with 2 trucks and an atv. i have pretty much no expenses but gas and ins. and could buy a bobcat or skid if needed, but I am not sure how to deal with the pricing if I need to be there 4 times in one day? They also want a seasonal bid...... I am at a loss when it comes to this drifting issue?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. gkp

gkp Member

forgot to mention... there is a one inch trigger and this is a church so it must be cleared by 630am and walks must be done very very well.

3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Welcome to PS. With that equipment you can get it done in an hours time give or take 15 minutes depending on experience. For a seasonal bid, you figure out the average times your trigger is met in a year. Lets say the average is 18 times, I would add 2 just to be safe. So your at 20 times, you mentioned 500 per push so that makes $10,000.00 for the season. The nice thing about that rate its guaranteed. To be safe you could include a cap of 100 inches. If it goes over that you charge more.

As for the drifting, try not to stack your snow into the predominate wind direction. I have found when its windy, often large sections of the parkings blow clean.
    Hope that helps.

4. gkp

gkp Member

Thanks Neige
    I am used to doing resi accounts and with them I can usually wait till the snow stops and then deal with it. But the commercial seems different in what people want and expect so do I charge extra for going back 2-4 times when I price per push on a commercial lot?. I own a shop that sells BOSS plows so i have access to any blades I want. I am thinking a 9.2 v and a 7.6 with wings, I also have a 700 king quad and a rhino for the walks. I know that pricing varies but any one have an opinion on mine. I would like to get $125 per hour per driver for the trucks and $75 for the atv and $50 for the snow blower. I think this is fair for doing a quality job around here.

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Neige's post is good. You might put "X" number of drift clean-ups into the contract... any more at T&M. Most of our monthly accounts do not include any drift work -all t&m... though if we have had only a modest winter we will throw in some hours towards this. You might also consider cumulative snowfalls that reach your trigger. How will you address two 1/2 inch snowfalls from seperate weather events that total one inch or more?

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If you can get $250 per acre that is great. Here in cleveland you can get $125 per acre or per hour pretty much. Your plow price seems high, but it is all regional when it comes to plowing snow. Good luck with it and having that 2 trucks and an atv you should have the property done in an hour no problem.:salute:

7. gkp

gkp Member

Went and remeasured today and got 2.3 acres so I think the bid numbers are good maybe slightly high but, today almost no wind around till I got to the bid sight and there it was about 40mph. We'll know if we got the bid by Thursday afternoon.
    Thanks all for the insight.

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Good luck !

9. azandy

azandy Member

I would simply charge him by the hour and go back and touch up the drifts when it is windy. What else do you have to do during the day when your done plowing? Maybe give him an approximate time but keep logging hours as needed. Sometimes these high maintenance jobs are cumbersome but are quite profitable with additional time and salt.