1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 04f350powerv-xt, Feb 5, 2008.

1. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

My 9'2 power v-xt is giving me some problems. When I am pushing heavy snow, or plow into a big pile of snow in the scoop position the wings always gets pushed in. Is this normal for this plow? My brother has a boss v blade and he does not have this problem no matter what he is pushing. I tend to think that this has something to do with the pressure release valve but I don't know how to turn up the valve. Any one have any ideas?
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

oah what relief

as with what you said (pushing heavy snow) the relief valve is doing its job before you break some thing ,take smaller bite's on wet snow . unless you can prove the valve's are breaking at a lower pressure than they are supposed to . which may be the dealer's responsibiity.:drinkup:
  3. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

i am having the same problem with my xt and cant stand it anymore, wish they had a trip edge instead. i even tightened the springs more and made no difference.
  4. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

i agrre, the xt has a few issues, i have one, and was one of the first to complain on here about it.
    mine folds back all the time the left seems to do it more then the right.
  5. payton

payton Senior Member

you do realize tightening the springs will cause this quicker right? since the springs are there to bring the wings back in.. the tighter you have the springs the faster/harder they will slam back. i ve not used my vxt much this year cause indiana sucks. but thats another story so ive not had any issues but i do know your thinking is bssacwards... losening the springs may help some but if there too lose you risk them falling off or not bringing the wing all the way back..
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It is due to the wing relief valves...and a certain amount of "give" is normal. But it's more pronounced on the XT blades simply because the bigger wing surface area will carry and push more snow, especially when stacking. The main problem stems from the fact that although the wing surface is larger, they kept the wing relief settings the same as the standard Vee's. But I've also been seeing a number of relief's set UNDER the specified relief setting so you may want to head over to your dealer and have them check the settings. Make sure they actually install a pressure gage on each wing hose and test them. Most dealers don't do this as a standard "pre delivery check"...I guess they just assume that they're correct out of the box.

100% correct. You only want to tighten the wing springs tight enough to pull the wings to their fully retracted position. Any tighter and it just shortens the life of the wing springs. :nod: