1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please Help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by cplandscaping, Nov 29, 2012.

1. cplandscaping

cplandscaping Junior Member

I have a customer that we mow for in the summer who wants us to plow for them as well.I am having a hard time quoting it due to the fact of the size of the place.It would roughly take 2-2.25 hours to plow on a 6" storm. If we have a big storm event i would have to dedicate a truck on site for the full event.My question is would it be better to quote it on a per hr price or stick with a per push?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Post up a pix. Unless your using a loader,even then don't do hourly. Better to give a price per push .I don't like storm pricing either.

3. cplandscaping

pics would be hard its not a parking lot its a horse clinic and they have 15 barns and another 10 corales to plow around and out..we don't price per event at all.We do a bunch of commercial parking lots that are pretty straight forward.My loader isnt really an option for this place in between the buildings are pretty narrow i could use it on the main road part but thats the easy part

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Is it all asphalt or gravel/dirt ? If its gravel or dirt your best bet will probably be a tractor with either a pusher/plow with a rubber or urathane edge. Especially if the site is that large.

5. cplandscaping

It is a mix of asphalt,Gravel and wood chips(mainly the chips are in between the horse corals).I do have a 540 tractor with a pusher on it.That would work for the main road area but it would be too big in between the buildings and corals.I could use one of the trucks to get in between buildings and for sanding.The actual plowing aspect is pretty straight forward plenty of places to put the snow.Its more on the side of per hour vs per push which one i would be better off with.Most of our commercial properties are around 5,000 square feet.Nice and easy in out and onto the next one.Never have had to dedicate a truck and a couple guys to one site before so I just don't want to under bid it.

6. cplandscaping

This image doesnt include a couple of the new buildings

horse clinic.jpg

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I would look into a tractor blade/blower lease set up cost for the winter and add your time to that. Rural properties with barns and fences are subject to some funky drifting.

8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

No one seems to answer your question so I will throw my opinion out there. On this place, I would go hourly but probably bump up your rate a little for the PITA factor. Drifts will most likely be an issue around the buildings.

9. yoced

yoced Junior Member

+2 on the PITA factor.
    Two things to know about horse farms - they are notoriously picky, and even more notoriously cheap and/or bad pays.

Especially during foaling season you will have to have a man on call 24/7 to get the vet in and out especially if they have to get a trailer in to haul a horse out.

If you do have to be availbable for foaling season then be sure to scope out the local roads - add a charge if you have to plow to get yourself in there to start with... (damhik)

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I wholeheartily agree with this statement..this has been my experience also. Do not go in lightly..make it worth your while.

11. cplandscaping

I was thinking about going in at it around a 100 an hour or 1-3" 300 3-6" 525 6-9" 750. 9-12".975 with the usual blizzard clause...any thoughts

12. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Sounds good to me. If I could get $100/ hr I'd buy a snow making machine. :)

13. cplandscaping

its 90-100hr up around here