1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by megaman69_54566, Nov 15, 2012.

1. megaman69_54566

megaman69_54566 Junior Member

i have a older western cable operated plow and i hooked it all up and even put on a new solenoid and the plow does not work with cable joystick all little prongs in joystick box are as should be i ran a jumper off solenoid and plow does work and goes up but not with joystick and i do have ground hooked up any suggestions

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I suggest punctuation! And see how I started my sentences with a capital letter? Makes it very easy to read. From what you said it sounds like the cable is broke or needs adjusted.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like there may be a brake in the curcuit that activates the motor relay. There should be three little switches in the joystick that activate the relay for up, left and right but not down. It may be that these switches are not being fed power, maybe the wire from the joystick to the relay is open or possibly the ground wire from the second pin of the relay to ground is bad. I am not sure how these old systems are wired. May be 12V to the relay and then the joystick switches ground to complete the curcuit or may be the joystick switches are fed 12V which they forward to the relay which would be grounded on one side. A good test light and a jumper wire would be all you need to figure this out.

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

mishnick, it's cable control , no switches.
    I think the key is the solenoid. needs to be ground activated from the little wire coming from the control. he prob picked up a positive activated solenoid.
    megaman, you should get a western solenoid (motor relay) and hook it up using the enclosed instructions. note that you'll need to add a jumper wire.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

But even the cable operated system must have electrical contacts in the joystick. Otherwise what activates the pump motor relay? These switches I mention are the ones in the joystick that you refer to as "the little wire coming from the controller." But you have a good point about the solenoid (relay). If the relay is an old style starter relay with an internal ground and one small lug or one with the ignition coil bypass lead then it won't work. If I understand you correctly the little wire from the joystick completes the curcuit to ground when the joystick is operated up, left or right. That means that there should be an ignition controlled positive wire to one coil lug of the relay and the other lug should go to the joystick.

Megaman... I think you should verify what kind of relay / solenoid you have. You can test it by disconnecting the two small lugs, then connect a jumper from one (either one) to ground and then take another jumper and put 12V+ to the other small lug. If the relay clicks when both jumpers are connected then you have the right one. You should do this test with the relay unbolted from the truck so there is no confusion if it is internally grounded. Another test you can do to see if it's the wrong kind is to leave it bolted down so the shell is grounded, then take the 12V+ and touch it to the two small lugs one at a time with nothing connected to the other lug. If it does click when you do this it's the wrong relay. If you bought this relay from a parts store it may well be the wrong one. If you get any plow relay, Western, Boss, Fisher they will all be the same and will all be the correct kind.