1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by megaman69_54566, Nov 15, 2012.

1. megaman69_54566

megaman69_54566 Junior Member

i bought a older western cable operated plow i got it all mounted up and even bought a new solanoid i hooked all electrical wires up and plow will not work off joystick box yes i had ground hooked up etc but the plow does go up and down if i run a jumper wire off the solenoid i dont get it can anyone please help and yes the tabs in joystick box are making contact any suggestions im desperate

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Throw the question out in the Western forum down below on the list. It has all the cable functions working? It has to be the solenoid trigger circuit. It's been like 12 years since I had the same setup. Make sure the pump end housing where the cables operate is well greased and sealed with a gasket. You may have a bad wire leading to the solenoid.

3. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

I don't remember what those little tabs ground to. Are they grounding the solenoid throught the cable sheath, or do they ground through the joystick mount?

4. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

The tabs in the controller ground the solenoid under the hood so the motor runs and turns the pump, the cables operate the valves to direct fluid flow. Make sure the small terminal on your solenoid that the controller wire is connected to has a ground, otherwise you may have a broken wire going to the controller. If I remember right there was a solenoid at parts stores that looked identical to a plow solenoid but the ground wasn't built into the solenoid and needed a jumper wire to ground.

5. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

The solenoid in that setup is negative isolated meaning it does not ground through the base. There should be 4 terminals, 2 large and 2 small on the sol. 2 large are power in and out and on the 2 small there are is a small jumper from the large hot terminal from the battery to one small terminal and the ground from the joystick controller on the other. That way there is no hot passing through the joystick.