1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by njsnowremoval, Sep 29, 2010.

1. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

this is my first year plowing and I have a cliant that is rather old. i dont want to try to explain how i figure out my price to her because she gets comfused easily. i have to do her by hand due to the fact she parks in the drive and she has no were else to park. how much do you charge per inch or whatever. also how do you handle getting payed? Thanks hunter.payup
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

How long is the drive? Cant you just backdrag it?
  3. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

plow forward . Stop 10ft shy of car. back drag. Plow away from drive. Only shovel the walk. Charge resi 3-6" rate 6-12" 12". plus. If she is older you probably will only have to get to her at the end of the storm or route. You could go during the storm to open it up. But, I find my older customers wont even go out in the bad weather. We plow more for their safety.
    Shovel as least as possible!!!
  4. njsnowremoval

i can only back drag like 10' of it, also she doesnt want it done till the end of the storm. Finnally can plow pavers? ive never been asked to before.
  5. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

:nono: What are you going to do when there's 12" or more on the ground? :dizzy: Especially if you're going to shovel it! :eek: I don't think she'll want to pay enough to make that job profitable.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If she is that old, just do it for her for free. It sounds like a small enough drive. I have a little old lady that is 90 years old that I plow for. I have done her drive for 5 years now, and have never charged her a penny. I never knew her before, and she has the largest drive that I plow. I just figure 1 good deed deserves another. Maybe if I ever get that old, somone will do the same for me.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you are going to charge anything....make it a set price per time you are there. I would also just plow open the end of the dsrive till she moves her car and then plow the rest
    I don't shovel.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I did the same for an old guy. He died last winter so I no longer plow his driveway. He would always want to give me a $100 and I never took it. Now that I look back on it I should have took the money becouse the guy was loaded. Plus all of his money went to his son who hated him. But I could never take money from an old fella for just plowing his driveway.
  9. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

The $$s would have Been nice but in your heart you know you can't take it with you, and the son who go the $$s is probably a miserable POS regardless of how much he has. Bless your Heart man.
  10. njsnowremoval

I ussually just let her pay me what she thinks is fair, ive been doing her since i was 11. If she trys to give me to much i dont let her, i have to say it is a pita though, her drive is paver and its hard to do with a shovel because the shmuck who chopped down her tree messed it up on her. its preatty lon but its really tight and you have to go on her neibers lawn to get around her car. i use a realativly large snow blower and it takes me over an hour and a half to do her drive, side walk, front steps, and clear her deck.(she thinks the weight of the snow is going to break it. I also out of courtisy clean the snow off her car because she drives once the snow is cleared. i guess ill just continue to do her the way i have before.:salute:
  11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Thank You. His son is an a$$ hole. But the old fella was allways good to me and my friends. He let me hunt on his property and I shoot 2 deer off his property. He was a realy good man.
  12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You don't plow for old people for free..... if they can't shovel or pay to have snow removal, they need to move into a condo or something. It's part of life.
  13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It's kind of like Karma. Every year I plow for a low income family, this same elderly lady, and this year I signed of for Snowcare for Troops. I don't mind giving some. I count my blessings, and don't mind passing a helping hand, since I am able to do so.
  14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Come on man. See, this is what happens when you own a diesel. The fumes turn you into a pr*ck. ;) Don't be so callous, even just a path in is enough, in case of an emergency.