1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PLEASE help with western problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Starboyz66FTP, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

my plow worked fine yesterday, then today went to start ruck and raise plow and it won'traise or turn left or righ, there is power to the hand held contoller, my lights go on in the plow, but won't move. when i press raise or left or right it just clicks, all connections are always gresed and are good. i am not mechanically inclined at all, so please give me some detail on what to do, i read posts about tocuhoing solnoid but i do not even know where it is on the plow... any help is greatly appreciated

2. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

the plow is a newer style 7 1/2 western ultramount. thank agian

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Recheck your grounds, and make sure that the ground cable for the plow is grounded to the battery.

4. mak

mak Junior Member

You need to isolate the clicking, have someone raise and lower while you look under the hood. Start with that and double check the connections under the hood.

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

good chance a solnoid is gone, lost up/down, left/right function recently on one of our fishers, and thats what it was.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Hope this works. Here is the link for diagnosis for your plow. http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/21936_120198.pdf
    If the link does not work go on the Western web site (top left) of this page and look it up they have a very good chat to follow.

7. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I think he said Ultra Mount.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I know what it is....

I just had this happen to me. IT IS YOUR SOLENOID. My plow wouldn't work but I had power to the lights and controller. Bought a new Solenoid for $13 and am back in business.

9. Grn Mtn

apparently the OEM was underrated, and they kept having problems with them, so now the new ones are much beefier.

10. makokie

makokie Junior Member
    from 49036

unimount hair pulerr

Lost up, down and all around! Been thru and thru what gives?
    Replaced the solinoid ,the motor. Got power to controller and all lights work.
    Ground seems to be working because solinoid clicks same as the the one I replaced.
    All fuses check ok! I pulled cartridges checked power to these they function ok!
    Fluid level was down, but that just slows it down,pumpdoesn't seem frozen.
    Used it for a week, plowed my own drive down and back 2-times dropped the blade
    got up to the house nothing. What could the simple solution be?????????
    JR

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does the motor run in the up/left/right position's? Or do you have nothing at all?

12. makokie

makokie Junior Member
    from 49036

Nothing, I hear the clicking and the controller turns off!

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's kicking the controller off when the solenoid click's then you have a ground problem. I know you said that you checked them but you need to go over all the ground wire's with a fine tooth comb. Especially the one's that ground the coils on the valve's and make sure both your grill connectors are SPOTLESS inside.

14. makokie

makokie Junior Member
    from 49036

Live and learn the basic's!

Cleaned both grill plug ins with brake cleaner and regreased them both, spotless!!
    Then I had jumped a groud from the ground I had to the battery. Nothing!
    So I tapped into a new spot my th moter on the arm for the altn'r.
    And Bam I got power, the juice baby! Back in business.
    Lesson learned here, check the basic's 3-times before spending any big money.
    Nine times out of ten it's the basic's.
    Thanks for the tips on c h e c k i n g the ground!!!
    John

15. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

This is going to sound weird, but I had a nightmare that this happened to me lastnight. lol

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you got it fixed! 9 time's out of ten it's usually a ground problem when a plow goes down.That's why I mentioned the grounds again.

17. Grn Mtn

hey Starboyz...

Did you get your plow working and was it the ground or the solenoid? Or something else?