1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help with t-case grinding noise

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jwhawg, Dec 30, 2007.

1. jwhawg

jwhawg Junior Member

I'm having problems with my '98 ram 1500 t-case, I THINK !!
    In 2wd I hear what seems to me to be grinding, or the thing not being completely in or out of 4wd. When it's in 4wd all sounds normal until I turn. Mostly to the right, but still noisy to the left. And real bad binding. It sounds like it did when the u-joint went out on the end of the axle. R frnt.
    Mainly in 2wd it sounds like you're trying to shift something into gear without clutching it.
    The truck shifts well, no noise at all in any gear. T-case shifts fine. It seems to be in 4wd when the t-case is in 4wd, hi or lo range. And 2wd when the t-case is there. No weird noises while running down the road, except for the grinding sounds as you are getting up to speed. Also btw, I have a standard trans.5.2 All stock except lifted.
    I have read the threads as far as the front end and the vacuum related things that can happen. I have confirmed that I have vacuum at one or the other vacuum tubes depending on if your in 2 or 4wd ( at the motor on the axle.) This seems to work as described in the past threads. I have NOT pulled the housing on the axle where I'm assuming the "fork" is. I also assume that it is working ??
    Please help guys !!
    I would hate to replace a tranny or t-case when I really need a u-joint or front end.
    I'm a newbie I know !!

Thanks in advance
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

If everything in your post is true, youv'e actually answered your own question.
  3. jwhawg

jwhawg Junior Member

And it is true....................................... so clue me in please

RODHALL Senior Member

start by checking wheel joints driveline joints.... while your checking front drivline in 2wd give it a spin and make sure it turns freely. if it don't jack the cad side off the grond and give it a spin. if the wheel turns you got an issue with teh CAD unit if still don't turn jack all 4 wheels up put the transmission out of gear give front driveline a spin see if the rear driveline wheels turn. if they do then it tansfer case or linkage adjutment....

somewhere along the line you'll find the problem.it will be one of 4 things
    bad joint
    cad not dis endgaguing
    transfer case linkage needeing adjustment
    something insid transfer case
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  5. jwhawg

jwhawg Junior Member

Hey Thank You ! Now I have something to go on. It's been toooo cold here to be outside fartin around with it. Going to be a whoppin 40 or so tomorrow. I'll check it out. I hope it's not the latter of your possibilities. hehe-- I'll let you know what I find if you're interested.
    Thanks Again !
  6. johnnymil

johnnymil Junior Member

I own a 96 Dodge 1500 and was told by my mechanic that one possible problem is that there is a part in the transfer case similar to a fork which shift the unit into 4wd and this fork may be getting hung up when attempting to shift oout of 4wd. This will cause a grinding sound. But it sounds like a U-Joint issue or maybe a front hub assembly problem.
  7. ROWDY

ROWDY Junior Member
    from Ohio

I agree with RODHAL.

Get the tires off the ground turn things freely. Look, listen and feel for for bad parts with no engine and road noise.

Put the trans and t-case both in and out of gear and turn some driveline parts. Wheels, driveshafts. Then observe.
  8. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I used to work for a trans shop. What we found was the clip in the tail housing breaks. Pull the rear driveshaft out then remove the tail housing from the T case. There is a clip in there that breaks. It holds the bearings in place. The dealer has a heavy duty replacement clip for about $3. Pop it in and should be fixed. What you described sounds exactly like the problem which I just told you how to fix.
  9. jwhawg

jwhawg Junior Member

Hi Guys,

Well I have been discuraged. I did what ROD said and jacked it up. All 4. Turned all the wheels in and out of 4wd N 2wd. Seemed ok I guess. No noticable noise, grinding, binding. I have taken it to a tranny shop and they have told me its the t-case.
    But Streetfrog, I think what you told me is something to investigate. Is this a clip that will be easy to find where it belongs?

Thanks so much for the info !!
    I'll let you know what I find.
  10. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Yes. As soon as you pull off the tail housing. There is a clip that holds everything in place. You will see if it is there or not. Can't miss it.
  11. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Let me know if that clip is bad.. Or if notthen what the problem was.. Ken:bluebounc
  12. jwhawg

jwhawg Junior Member

Hi Ken,

Man I OWE YOU 1 !!! That was It !! I pulled the housing off and saw emediately the clip was gone. Shortly after that I found three pieces of the old clip. I went to web and looked around. Found the "Transfer case Saver". Two peice collar type thing that goes in place of the stock c-clip. 40 bucks. Man you saved me a bunch !! I THANK YOU

13. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Not a problem just glad I could help. Like I said I have seen hundreds of thos go. You could have just used a new clip from dealer though. The one they sell is beefier than the one installed at the factory. But the collar setup means it is bullet proof now lol.