1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help with my pricing question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by clncut, Oct 18, 2008.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Im looking to try a different bidding method this year and would like your input please.

Im thinking of bidding in brackets using a per push method if that makes sense. My pricing would look like this,

2-4
    4-8
    8-12
    Hourly after 12

So, if a customer wants to be plowed every 2-3 inches of accumulation during business hours then he would get charged the 2-4 inch price for however many plows during the storm. Now lets say its still snowing and the business is closed the customer would only get billed for however snow has accumulated since I will probably only be plowing once.

Now the customer wants us to wait till the storm is over, they would just get billed for the total amount of snow fallen. Does this method seem to confusing and do anyone use this method?

John

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you really want to be plowing a 12 inch snow? Keep it simple per push or seasonal.

3. clncut

Depends, if the snow is light and fluffy then I would consider it. Heavy and wet, more than once and they would get billed by how much snow has fallen at that time.

The way I do it now is per push, one set price for each visit. The problem Im having is when the businesses are closed and they do not want us to be there every 3 inches to plow. Then I feel as if Im losing out on money, its taking longer due to more time needed to clear the lot. Any suggestions?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I had one like that. I told them if I'm in the area and it will get plowed and billed you can't keep making special trips because you'll lose just as much money.

5. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

These customers get hit with the max $ and I will usually throw in a little extra just because they waited so long to call/or would not allow me to plow with the storm!!!!.

More work=More Money end of story!!!!payup:D;)

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It looks like you're planning to bill based on how much you plow each time. I've found that the better way is to charge for the total accumulation during a 24 hour period. That way, you can decide when to plow and how much you want to plow each time. Avoid situations where you and the customer might disagree on how to plow - you might think you should plow at six inches, but the customer might think you should just wait till it's over. The customer does not your best interests at heart - just his wallet.

7. clncut

Thanks for all the quick responses. I really like the way I bill and think I will continue using that method as stated above....one set price for each visit. I like using this method because their is no questioning on snow measurements.

I was just wondering what most do here when businesses are closed. Continue plowing every 2-3 inches as if the businesses were open?

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I go by what they want. Do you have a contract with them?

9. clncut

yes, my contract states Ill plow with the storm, wont let any more than 2-3 inches accumulate before plowing but nothing about after hours.

10. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

clncut,

suggestion: if its a busy place; "charge per push 2-3" til business closes" keeps owners/mngr. happy.
    then charge a clean up at while they are closed.