1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help with general plowing questions

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cgrizzle3929, Oct 18, 2016.

1. cgrizzle3929

cgrizzle3929 Junior Member

1. I bought a lawn and landscaping company and now I won a bid for a condo and high rise apartment. The total square ft is 169000. I do not have to do the sidewalks only plowing and salting. I quoted 1 to 4 inches at 500 per and 4 to 8 at 975 salting 425. My question is with my bid I do not know what trigger they want. So how does this whole thing work? If it's 2 inch trigger I come out at 2 inches and plow but if it's a storm and I have to repeat do I charge every time? Or do I only charge say my 4 to 8 price if we get 6 inches even if I plow 3 times. I'm not sure how it works I just had some connections to know what they wanted to see. I have not owed before but understand how to do it and can learn quickly. I have 3 trucks I can run. I still need to buy a big Salter which I've figured I will spread about 2 yards per salt. I have 2500hd trucks. I figured I can only put about 2500 pounds total in the beds is that right? Or could I do more? Also after they officially accept the bid what next? Do I ask them exactly what they are looking for as far as the contract goes? Or do I wrote a contract based on what I want to do? Such as, shoveling cars out? Thanks everyone for your insight

2. Toxic

Toxic Junior Member

How in the world does one go about submitting a bid and "winning" it if you have no idea what the scope of work consists of!??

3. cgrizzle3929

I don't know should I sit on my ass and not work in the winter like half of America because I am not a seasoned veteran? Also, how do you get experience withlut doing? I bet you would've said the same thing if I told you I had no idea what I was doing when I bought the company this year, but guess what? I turned the unprofitable company around, learned real quick what to do and what not to do, and made a significant amount of money. Enough so to buy a new pair truck and a plow and a brand new mower and lots of other stuff.

4. cgrizzle3929

5. cgrizzle3929

But I guess I could've sat at home and cried about it like you would.

6. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Wow, these are all questions that should have been answered before you ever even considered bidding on anything let alone giving a price.

1. I've never been good on sq ft but that seems like a heck of a lot of property to only get 500 dollars. for me if im running 3 trucks and only getting 500 dollars, it has to be done in an hour and a half. i run each truck at 110 an hour.

2. You need to have a meeting with them to discuss there expectations and get a contract signed for liability. also restructure the wording on the increments because right now if it snows 4 inches you might charge 975 but they will say wait no its only gotta be 500. I would break them up into smaller increments. 1-2, 2.1-4, 4.1-6 and so on.

3. you would charge each trip as how much snow there is. if the first round you plow 6 inches and then the second round you plow 2 inches you charge for the two increment brackets theyre in.

4. 2 yards at 425 dollars is low. i make 730 per trip where i only use about a yard and a little more.

5. the amount of weight you can fit in there is up to the trucks restrictions. your gvwr on a 2500 is most likely 9200. take the curb weight of the truck, the weight of the plow, weight of the salter and any extra weight you have in the truck and add all that up. now subtract the gvwr from that number and that is the amount of legal free weight you have left. for me, my truck with me in it my plow on and my salter it weighs around 7400 lbs and my gvwr is 10,400 because its a 1 ton. so i have 3000 lbs of payload that i can legally put in there.

make sure when you make the contract you put in there you will return once during the day for cleanup of moved cars. if you dont make that very clear that youre only coming once, they will call every time a car moves.

Roy1347, truckitup and cgrizzle3929 like this.
  7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

How old are you??...

Your in over your head...Get some experience under you belt before you tackle this...

BTW...Here's your first lesson...To be on the safe side bidding...Go with a 1000 pounds per acre on the salt...

areoseek, Sawboy, dieselss and 2 others like this.
  8. cgrizzle3929

I'm 31. And wouldn't 1000 pounds per acre be about 2 yards?

9. cgrizzle3929

Thank you for all your advise. I realize it is a little low but I knew what the next closest bid was and it was only a little over that. I'm in Michigan and where I'm at is very poor here, I'm sure your market is higher. What do you pay for salt where you live? Also, I am going to put all kinds of things in the contract, this was just the bid. I am looking for a old dump truck to use as my salt truck.

10. snowplower1

I've been there where you know the lowest bid and for future, it works out sometimes being the lowest but somebody else could have absolutely no idea what they are doing and are just bidding super low to get the job and if you went even lower you could end up in serious trouble middle of the year.

i pay 97 a ton but i pick up from a supplier. one day i'll break down and build a salt bin because i'll be able to get salt for around 70 a ton then

dump truck may be over kill. You could just buy 2 one yard ploy hopper saltdogg spreaders and put them in two of your trucks. they're only like 3k or less. 2 guys can pick it up and put it in and out of the truck.

cgrizzle3929 likes this.
  11. cgrizzle3929

that would be cool and I have a snowdogg 810

12. snowplower1

dont know much about snowdogg. I have began making the switch to all boss from western. i have 3 boss plows now and waiting on buying a new truck to put on the new boss ext. i would recommend boss for your future plows or even western or fisher. those are the three around here all the big businesses use. boss salters are built to last. saltdogg salters are meant to be a cheaper buy, with cheaper parts. my saltdogg spinner motor when after 2 years. 400 for new motor or 500 for the whole spinner assembly.

13. reedo

reedo Junior Member

There is 43,560sq.ft/Acre. That site is about 4 acres. A 3/4 ton truck will have its hands full with a plow and a loaded spreader. Definitely recommend going with a one ton truck for a 2 yard spreader. You are right, you will never learn without experience. Just keep one thing in mind and value your work. Undercutting someone else's bid to get work without knowing your operating costs is a good way to die a slow painful death.

Roy1347 and Sawboy like this.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Oi vey.......

areoseek and Philbilly2 like this.
  15. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

:laugh::laughing::laugh::laughing:

16. cgrizzle3929

Thank you for that. Luckily if it goes south Im not dependant on the money. The experience of giving the quote and doing the job will be very beneficial for me. If I can make money that will be a huge bonus.

17. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

So much wrong with that statement. Wouldn't even know where to begin :dizzy::dizzy:

areoseek, reedo and Sawboy like this.
  18. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you serious???....Thats my business motto...If it goes south...Oh Well...If you are not a troll...you have no business doing this...You don't have a clue...

19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

. . If your not dependant on the money why do it? Just sub it out instead.......fyi......Your not going to make money this year at all.

reedo likes this.
  20. Toxic

Toxic Junior Member

Well, you certainly handled that like a professional...
    Congratulations on being such an outstanding entrepreneur, I look forward to reading about your tremendous success in Forbes magazine. :dizzy: