1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help with a simple wiring question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 96zjlimited, Nov 30, 2009.

1. 96zjlimited

96zjlimited Junior Member

I have a 1998 dodge ram 2500 with single headlights, I just picked up a western unimount 8' blade. I need to know what wiring to use to make it work with my headlights. I tried going on the western website but they have alot of options for isolation modules, relays and headlight type, and I'm not sure what it all comes down to. I'm really handy with wiring, and fab work, just not sure what the right harness would be to start with. I have zero truck side wiring as it is right now. Thank you!
    Ryan

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Welcome to Plowsite Ryan. First off, how may harnessess does the plow have 2 or 3?

Do you have the mounts for the truck yet as well, or do you need those too?

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

If it is a 3 plug, then your going to need all of this stuff truckside.

29050 Light Kit which already includes the following parts:
    28930 Vehicle Light Harness
    26357 Vehicle to Plow Light Harness
    29047 Adapter

You'll also need the following in addition to the kit
    63411 Battery Harness
    5794K Motor Relay
    26345 Control Harness
    29070 3 Port ISO Module (light green label)
    56462 Hand Held controller

If you don't have the mount for your truck it is:
    67980 as well as the receivers if you don't have them 67859 & 67858

Try CPW http://centralparts.com/

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Uni's were two plug relay unless of course it's been switched to an Iso system by a previous owner.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

In which case you can scratch all the above and get these...I think. B&B correct me if I'm wrong, Relays systems were pre generation for me.

61540-1 Light Kit
    67858 Headlamp Harness
    63411 Battery Harness
    5794K Motor Relay
    56462 Hand Held controller

And the mounts stay the same....
    67980, 67859 & 67858

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually the best and least expensive way to do it is to purchase a 62525 as this will give you the headlight adapter harness, the main control harness and all the small parts as a kit. Less expensive vs buying all those components separately.

Only other items you'll need are the battery cables (p/n 61169 and 22511), a motor relay (p/n 56131K) and the controller of your choice.

If you need a mount you need p/n 62035. But good luck finding one as the Unimount mounts have been out of production for several years now. Hope you already have it or you'll need to dig around for a used one.

7. toast

toast Member

8. TOMASSI POWERSP

TOMASSI POWERSP Junior Member

28930 Vehicle Light Harness

Repoman i have the headlight harness if that helps you.
    28930 Vehicle Light Harness bough it on ebay and the guy told me it was for a fisher and a ford......boy was he wrong

9. Newfie Ranger

Newfie Ranger Member

Hi Ryan,

If this helps, I bought a 7.6 western unimount for my chev 2500. The wiring harness was from a ford. I had someone install the harness for me and he ran seperate switchs/wires to the cab for the low and high beam inside the truck. It's basic but it works. The only thing is that my plow light and truck headlights are on at the same time. I looked for a wiring harmess for a chev at the time but could not find anything, so I had to go this way. Just another option.

10. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

toast, your right.that is a little high in price..Ryan, I try to crew that boy down, or he going to hanging on to that harness for a while..As for newfie statement, I would get the harness, and go with B&B.

On the mount, I sent an email to a guy who might have the mount.I will let you know when he send me an email..

11. twinman326

12. twinman326

Maybe the other person will be lower.......I will let you know........If you have the mount you just save 900.00.. If not, hope Santa is very nice to you

13. Newfie Ranger

Newfie Ranger Member

Man, I wish I knew of plowsite.com before I had my wiring done. Although my set-up works for me, I'll have to check out B&B suggestions and see what it can do for me as well. As I said earlier, my set-up is just another option, if you don't have any other option. When I contacted our western dealer, I was told that there was no way to set-up my system (from a ford) other than find an old harness for my chev. Thanks B&B for the information. This site is great!!.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  14. toast

toast Member

Just an update for everyone. Ryan bought the proper harness from a dealer..

15. twinman326

Good..

Does he still need the mount??

16. desmato

desmato Junior Member