1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PLEASE HELP!!!! Which spreader?????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stackmaster, Nov 6, 2008.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

I've been plowing for 12 years but have always sub contracted sanding/gravel. I would like to get into this as it is becoming a major concern for our commercial contracts. SOOO many different options as far as spreaders. Can anyone tell me if I should be looking at steel or Poly?? I would like to be able to remove the spreader from the truck without too much hassle. Any replies much appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

2. albertaplowman

albertaplowman Junior Member

Sander

HI Stackmaster

We have used a few different spreaders so far. We currently have a Western Icebreaker and a Snow Ex 8000. I personally like the snow ex better. It is much simpler to work on and I like the added control of being able to adjust the spread from inside the cab. We also have had much better service from Action Engines on our snow ex than we have had from Fort Gerry for our western. I like the idea of electric. It starts no matter how cold and the few problems we have encountered have been very easy to solve. Now that both spreaders are off warranty i feel much more confident with the snow ex than the western. If you have more questions feel free to call. Kent @ 403.921.9075.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I just went through this very problem. First off salters cost so damn much that it's hard to find a deal and the descriptions and details on these salters are near non-existent. So, you go off of word of mouth which is less than detailed. Ugh - fustrating!

So, You need to know really two main things. How much is your budget, how much capacity do you want/need? This will get you to either tail gate spreaders or vboxes or hitch spreaders.

As for quality or complexity .... salters are basic. Hopper, vibrator, motor, spinner and controller.

For my needs I looked for as much plastic as I could find to limit rust and keep a smooth surface. I also looked for 9 cubic foot capacity apx, variable speed spinner and a way to close the chute so salt doesn't slip out as I drive between accounts.

For me I went with the new Western 2500. But, you may find a different need. The most popular seem to be Western and SnowEx. But, honestly there is not night and day difference once your looking at commercial grade.

4. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I bought a hiniker ss last year so far im happy with it .

5. stackmaster

Thanks for the quick responses. I definately need a V box and think (but don't know) I would like Poly. We have 2 Meyer poly plows and love the fact that the poly stays slick, doesn't rust, and looks nice even after many years. However I see that most people here are spreading salt or sand. In Calgary, most contractors are spreading gravel or pickle chips. I'm a little worried about the abrasive quality of gravel in a poly hopper. I'm hoping it's not an issue. (perhaps stainless would be better??????)
    Also, I am thinking (but, again, don't know) of electric over gas.....?? The idea of not having another engine to worry about when its -35c is appealing.
    Also, (sorry. I'm just rambling now...) there seems to be alot of talk about "salt dogg". I find myself wishing there were fewer choices here.:dizzy:

6. albertaplowman

albertaplowman Junior Member

Salt Dogg

I would be interested in what you find out about the Salt Dogg. Everyone on this forum speaks highly of them. I am curious how they will work with our local use of salted sand chips. I know a number of guys running the Snow ex 8500 which would be similar in operation and have had no problems. I believe there is also a local dealer for Salt Dogg. Let me know what you find out. On Kijiji in Calgary there is a fisher polycaster for sale, worth a look at if it has all the updates.

Kent

7. ShaneG

ShaneG Junior Member
    from Alberta

I just installed a western Tornado. Haven't used it yet but have taken it out of the truck twice now with just two people.

8. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

I am looking for something as you are stackmaster. I don't' know what you mean by pickle chips, but I'm looking for something that will spread clean 3/8" limestone chips. I too am worried about the stone being too aggressive on the saltdog/snowex v-boxes. I don't think the motor driven steel v-boxes would have a problem but I'm looking for something electric and poly for less maintenance and headaches. I often thought the Western Tornado would be a little better for this application because it has a belt to feed the spinner rather than an auger. I posted a question to the saltdog rep in the snowdog forum. Here's a link: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68095

9. stackmaster

By pickle chips I mean 3/8" or smaller gravel that has been dipped in a brine solution. I'm not a big fan of it as it tends to allow the gravel to melt through the hard pack, and then just sit underneath where its not doing any good.
    I think I would end up spreading straight gravel as it sits nicely atop hardpack.
    I've noticed that some spreaders have a conveyor belt and some have an auger. Does anyone know which type would move gravel the best??
    By the way albertaplowman, the dealer for salt dogg is Danco Equiptment. Might be a convenient choice for me as they also are my dealer for our Meyer plows.
    Thanks for the replies.