1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please Help! What is the best plow to put on a F150XL 4X4?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chiseled, Jul 22, 2009.

1. chiseled

chiseled Junior Member

I have a Ford F-150 XL 4X4 and I want to get a plow attached. All I hear about is the beating that the front end of the truck will get once plowing begins. Can anyone recommend a specific plow or weight range/size I should look into getting for my truck??

2. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

what year is your truck? an it just depends on what brand you want and how much plowing your going to be doing and if you want to buy new or used. you can go to westerns website and go to quick match and it will tell you what western plow will fit on your truck.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Are you expecting snow soon? You seem like you are in a rush to get one.

Year of truck might be nice to know as welll as engine, tranny, etc. The trim package, like XL is meaningless when it comes to plows.

7.5 foot of any brand should be fine. A Sno-Way with down pressure would be awesome. There are as many answers to this question as there are plow brands. Do a search. This is one of the most repeated topics as far as 1/2 tons go and there is tons of reading for you to do. Your truck will do fine by the way.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Consider a 26 series Snoway w/DP great set up that won't beat your front end up.

5. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

any 7.5' plow should be fine just don't beat on the truck

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go with the Sno-Way.
    Dealer support is more important then brand.

7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Here you go!

this is a 7' Meyer MDII Like New! comes with all the wiring, modules, controls, and frame mounts. $2750 I can also do a 7.5' for the same price.

If your interested call me 508 753 6617

Jay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. chiseled

chiseled Junior Member

My truck is a 2004. Thank you for the reply.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A 7.5' Fisher would be good IMO.

10. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

You may want to weigh your front axle. Go to a truck scale or the local trash transfer station and put your front wheels on the scale to see what your front weighs. Then look on your door for the front axle weight rating and determine how much extra weight your truck can have up front before you're overloaded. Then start looking at plows. Most plows including the undercarriage are very heavy. Snow-Way makes a very light plow with downpressure which compensates for the weight.