1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help: What Brand Hydraulic pump is this?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by altibodo, Mar 26, 2007.

1. altibodo

altibodo Junior Member

Hi. I'm new to plowing and just bought a pick-up with a used plow. I am having trouble with the pump, but I can't find any markings as to what brand it is. I was told the plow is a Mayer, but I can't find any similar models in their parts list. Any ideas, anyone? :confused:

070326 020_small.jpg

070326 021_small.jpg

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That kind of looks like a elec/hydro unit that you could buy from Northern Tool or something. It also looks like it could be home made, I don't even recongnize that lift frame.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Could be an Artic plow setup. They come out of Canada. Older looking. They had some parts very similiar to Meyers.

The powerpack itself looks like it could be a Monarch or similiar self contained unit. Northern does sell them.

Do you need parts? A good hydraulic shop or truck upfitter should be able to get parts as needed especially if they can pull a number off it.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You could just switch to a different brand pump like a Fisher or Meyer E-60 to make parts more accesable. Would likely need the controls also. Post pics of the whole truck with the plow on. That may help to identify it better.

5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Yes I believe it is a Meyer lift frame, just an older one. The pump as someone said could be from Norther tool. A JS Barnes pump, I don't see any lines for hydro turn, and the reservoir is really big. It looks like it could be a small lift body pump. I would just replace it with a pump of your chose. If $ matters you could get an older western cable cheap. I say cable pump because you have a convectional lift frame.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Looks like an old Monarch unit. if it works run it. They're great units and parts are available. Try a lift gate or dumpbody repair shop for parts.

7. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I bought a truck years ago that had a lift gate on it and had the same type of pump.

8. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

it looks like its homemade with the round tubing and the western lift arm or maybe that truck had central hydro's at some point but that is definately a monarch pump.what does the lower mount look like?

9. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Definitely a monarch I have one on a 79 Ford F350 and never had any problems with it I may have a manual I can scan if needed.

10. altibodo

altibodo Junior Member

Thanks for your help on this, gentlemen! It is definitely a Monarch unit (probably a M-304, judging from the company's technical drawings).

Since you were on the nose finding what this unit was, maybe you have an idea as to the diagnosis for my little problem. Here are the symptoms:

- Unable to lift piston(this is a one piston setup, no side-to-side) with plow on.
    - Piston raises normally when plow is off.( This should be a sign that my controls are working ok, right?)
    - Electrical motor spinning ok. I had it checked, and it does not seem to be showing any problems.
    - I changed the regular transmission oil for 80w90 oil and I can now raise the piston with the plow on, but it has a hard time getting all the way up. ( i know 80w90 should not be left in, it was only to diagnose what the problem might be.)

I figure worn parts in the pump. Any other ideas? Anyone ever fix a pump on this type of unit?

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can't repair that pump, you have to replace it. Pumps are readily available.

12. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

IT is the pump itslef which is part of that power unit. As said no parts in it to rebuild. Take the powerpack apart, replace the pump and while you are in there flush the whole system out. There may be a screen filter on the pickup in the resevoir to clean as well.

13. altibodo

altibodo Junior Member

Thanks for all the help! I will let you know how it went when I'm done.

14. jim schorn

jim schorn Junior Member
    from pa

there could be an adjustment screw for the amount of pressure the pump will put out

15. greythorn3

greythorn3 Junior Member

can i get a scan of the monarch manual please, i think that is what kind of pump i have. and cant figure out the wiring

Ray

16. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Try www.monarchhyd.com
    Have a look in the technical section.You can download lots of info & manuals.
    Good luck.

17. greythorn3

greythorn3 Junior Member

thank you very much bill rowe!

Ray