1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! Truck stopped dead in the middleof the road

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylittlescoop, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

I for my plow hooked up it needed a jump when I picked it up did not think much of it but it jumped fine.
    Went to the store later that night about 9 pm needed a jump when I went ot go home as I was drinving things started going out, first my turn signals, then my lights before I knew it my truck stoped dead at a red light in the middle of the intersection. Cops came ect..What a big mess!
    Charged the truck, the lights are working but the truck will not start at all its dead, nothing! This did not happen until I took it to get the plow on.
    It an f 150 1991.
    Can not trouble shoot this problem. Anyone who can help let me know!
  2. lwnmwr1

lwnmwr1 Junior Member

altenator, get it tested
  3. mylittlescoop

from nj

The altenator

Do you think thats what it can be? I am hoping thats all it is I was thinking it may have been an elecrical problem but I a, gonna have them check it out
  4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Sounds like the plow isn't wired correctly
  5. jimslawns

jimslawns Junior Member
    from Mid MO

check above plus the battery cables both ends.
  6. mylittlescoop

from nj

I did check the cables...
    They are ok, I called over there and they said they had problems with it not charging and had to jump it as well....
    So it is very possible that it may indeed be the altinator and the extra wire on it may have knocked it dead I am not sure becasue I am not a snowologist nor a truckologist.
    I can not even take it back there becasue ithe darn thing will not start
  7. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

If I were you I would check my wiring of the plow make sure the wire didn't get frayed anywhere and also clean your battery poles witha steel brush (BE-CAREFUL NOT TO CONNECT THE 2 POLES WITH THE BRUSH!) also you may want to consider getting the alternator tested as well as the battery.
  8. mylittlescoop

from nj

Thanks Everyone

Thanks! I need all the good luck I can get,I think someone up there has a doll made up to be me hanging in their closet and they keep poking pins in me...
    They are having a BALL with that voo-doo doll!
  9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

It sounds like your charging system/battery. Have the alternator and voltage regulator checked by someone in the automotive electrical field, and have them check the capacity of the battery. If the battery is old, it might no longer hold a charge. I would install dual batteries if you don't have them already. I am not sure if your truck has the voltage regulator built into the alternator or it is separate (probably on the firewall). I know of a good electrical place in Hudson county if you need them...
  10. bcf

bcf Senior Member

check under the battery

Seriously. My truck died in the midle of driving once, and I changed the alternator and battery before I found one on the wires to the alt under the battery in two pieces.
  11. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I seen a power solenoid on a western go bad and blow up, grounding the battery to its positive side. Smoke everywhere, and burnt up alot of wiring, was a real mess. A VERY simple voltmeter will tell you what you have coming out of your battery, and your alternator. Your gonna want a NEW battery regardless, so spend the 60 bucks at wallyworld or wherever and start there. Maybe an electrical shop could rebuild your alternator and get more juice out of it if your tight on $$. OTherwise, find the highest amp output you can and sticker on there. For your info, ANY generic parts store will test the parts out for you for free, talk to a manager or the nicest employee in the placed, most are good like that. Where in NJ are you, theres tons of us on here, maybe someone will take a ride out and help ya friend.............