1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please help should i convert my belt driven pump?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowmaster25, Dec 5, 2010.

1. plowmaster25

plowmaster25 Junior Member
    from ma

Hello this is my first time so i hope i get this right. i have an old belt driven fisher pump i changed the pump three times in four years. so i want to change to an electric pump. i have an opportunity to buy what i think is a MM1 pump with piston attached its used with some cables. It came off a 8ft plow and my truck is 9 ft. first should i convert? if so how big of a deal is it? thank you for any help you can provide

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Well, you would need to change your controller, and add a new battery harness for starters. Not a big deal at all really.

As far as the one your looking to buy, you'll need the 10" ram, not the 6", I would measure this right away, before considering it.

I'm not too familiar with belt driven units, but there are several guys here that are. I'm sure one of them will pipe in shortly and give you a hand.

If it were me, I would figure out what is ailing your current set up, chances are it's a simple fix.

The manuals for both setups can still be had. The Belt Driven is referred to just that and the one your looking at is titled EHP.

3. Three pumps in 4 years screams of something really wrong to me. It would be MUCH cheaper to fix what you have. Some things to check would be belt alignment, fluid level, and what if any leakage you may have. There also could be other things wrong that make you think its the pump.
    An old style belt driven pump should give you many years of service with proper annual fluid change and maintenance. Can you give us more info?

BTW, Welcome to Plowsite!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you been installing new or used pumps?

5. plowmaster25

from ma

belt driven or MM1please help

thanks to all who responded i truly do apprediate your impute. Ok so to answer all the questions. the plow has been on the truck for about 15 years at first it was working greatwhen i bought it then i had to Rev the motor to get the pump to move shortly after that the origanal pump died. replaced with a rebuilt ( scam) pump one year later it dird replace with a new fisher pump one year later it died. now the pump thats on their now is still working however when its cold it move fine but when its hot i have to rev the moter to get it to move also. also last year i played with one of the cables because the plow would not stay up by twisting the center cable i was able to adjust that problem is it possible its the cables? lastley i never flushed the fluid but i have to think most of the old fluid is gone after changing busted hoses and pumps. clearly i need more help. thank you again for any words of wisdom you may have to offer

6. plowmaster25

from ma

please help me i have not received any response to my last request I'm having problems with my belt driven unit i truly don't know which way to go should i convert or should i fix? it raises slowly i have to Rev the motor to get the pump to move also when it gets hot it may not move at all then i would have to shut the thing down until it cools then it works for awhile. I truly need help before it starts snowing thank you again for any advice you can offer

7. plowmaster25

from ma

thank you for responding I just figured out how to respond to your message (lol) Ok I put in two fisher pumps they are new the last one is still in the truck however it's not working good. it raises slowly and when the motor gets hot it stops moving until I let it cool down. so I was thinking of converting to the MM1 pump piston set up. on the other hand if i can fix this unit. I would truly love that thank you for your help

8. plowmaster25

from ma

hello I have a fairly new pump just about a year old now but it'smoving slow. After about two hours of plowing it barely moves

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How old is the fluid?

10. plowmaster25

from ma

i guess about two years now we changed three pumps two busted hoses. is it possible the hoses or cables are bad?

11. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I would replace the fluid after each pump change. Your fluid is probably contaminated, and taking out the new pumps. I change fluid yearly even if nothing fails.

12. plowmaster25

from ma

so it may be i need another pump?

13. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

What are you using for fluid? Is your belt slipping? Do you have enough fluid in the pump? Sorry.I know these are silly questions, just trying to get some info. 3 pumps in 4 yrs, something is killing your pumps. I have a 19 year old pump its alittle slow now, but going strong.

14. plowmaster25

from ma

Hello ok let me tell you I'm using dextron fluid in all cases but I never chaged my fluid so perhaps that's the problem? So I can buy a MM1 system today for 250.00 its used the question is is this a better f
    ix than the belt driven units

15. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

I would go to the fisher website and look at exactly you need to make the MM1 system work on your truck. Is there any parts missing from what your buying that you will need to purchase. Will the MM1 Pump bolt up to your frame. You will need a new controller. Yes you will be upgrading, but you may have to upgrade other pieces to make it work properly. Wish I could tell you what to do, I would try fix what you have, but you have already done alot and sounds like your done screwing with it. At least flush your current system before you throw in the towel.

16. plowmaster25

from ma

Thank you your rite I have spent a lot of time but not doing the rite thing so I'm gonna flush and move on LOL thanks again for your help and your time merry Christmas