1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help resolve wife disagreement...paying for standby

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by X-LOWBALLER, Nov 20, 2007.

1. X-LOWBALLER

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have an excellent worker. He works his tail off all season long with the grass accounts. He is only 18 years old. He has no bills. He makes great pay in the summer.

Here is the question....

Is it fair or not fair to pay this worker $50.00 every two weeks for standby?

Is this outrageous?

He asked for this amount and stated since he is lazy and doesn't want to get a job for the winter, $50 bi-weekly would tie him over.

The $50 is to ensure he is on call for the storms. He will receive his regular pay hourly when he works. Just to make it clear, the $50 is only to keep him "on call".

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't.
    I might find 3 or 4 hours of work a week for him (clean up the shop, sharpen blades, whatever)
    but just to sit there?
    no.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your not from our area but thanks. My guys get $300/week for 20 weeks and on top of that they get $20/hour. You get what you pay for, he's not asking for much so I would give it to him. I find it very hard to find good guys, so when I do I pay them well. I've had alot of the same guys for over 10 years.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

over the years i have learned the value of having good employees. the guys i want keep i allow to collect unemployment during the winter, to me it's worth it. can you complete your schedule without him? or find a replacement that is reliable? do they have unemployment in canada?

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

fifty bucks just makes sure he has the gas to go if you call him. offer him seventy five and thank him for being such a good worker. make sure he know though that HE HAS TO GO IF YOU CALL HIM.:D

6. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

There is no unemployment, everyone that is without a job is drafted into the army and sent overseas to fight:gunsfiring::rolleyes:

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You allow the government to pay their wage all winter and then you pay them to plow snow under the table. Is that what you mean?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That would get a few people off their butts. LOL

9. LoneCowboy

Back when I did tech work I had an entire team (20 people) from Montreal
    Oh yes, I get the Canada welfare system very well. :rolleyes:

Once again, i wouldn't pay someone just to sit on their butt which I realize is completely antithetical to the entire Canada experience. I might find a little work for them to do to EARN 50 bucks a week but to reward someone to sit on their tail and do nothing? no, it's a bad idea from all ways. Expect your entire team to be wanting it in a month or so, there go your profit margins.

You asked for my opinion, if you didn't want it, why ask?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2007
  10. LoneCowboy

Back when I did tech work I had an entire team (20 people) from Montreal
    Oh yes, I get the Canada welfare system very well. :rolleyes:

Once again, i wouldn't pay someone just to sit on their a$$ which I realize is completely antithetical to the entire Canada experience. I might find a little work for them to do to EARN 50 bucks a week but to reward someone to sit on their tail and do nothing? no, it's a bad idea from all ways. Expect your entire team to be wanting it in a month or so, there go your profit margins.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You guys up there probability keep all your workers in the strip clubs so you know where they are all winter.

12. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

standby

Is it fair to pay him to be on standby? Yes
    Is it not fair to pay him to be on standby? Yes
    I think you are both right. I personaly would not have any problem paying him from your description of how good an employee he is. $100 per month I would think you would recover your cost in 1 storm per month. Now if I told my wife I was paying him I would be asking the question. Tell your wife if you dont pay him and he doesn't show up, she is on shovel duty.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My profit margins are fine, thanks for asking. I get paid well for what I do so I pass it on to my employees. Standby money is just that, they get paid for not getting drunk, not going to Florida and being available to me 24/7. Didn't you just start a thread complaining about a guy that was suppose to drive your tractor? I don't have those problems, paying my winter guys well, takes alot of stress off me. I know I have competent guys running all of my machinery and that's worh every penny to me. BTW they get paid every 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2007
  14. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

If he is a good worker i would say $50.00 is a deal i mean it stinks that your not making money just giving it away but good employies are very hard to find if it takes $50.00 to keep him around then i think its a good idea.

15. xtreem3d

jddave,
    sort of.....the guys that do most of my snow work have been doing it long before any employee that i have was working for me ( they are friends, previous employees, firemen)...they want the "good" snow money so i can't bump them off and i explain that to the guys working as employees although i have used some employees at different times

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No not at all.

How many times do you have to him pay this way?
    A couple of times a year.
    So what, maybe $300 a year?

What I would do is instead of just giving it to him. Have him wash and clean the equipment, mowers, grease the plows a little maintance just to touch base with him if nothing else.

jmo

17. rredd13

rredd13 Member
    from ontario

Lmao...thats too funny....one would think if that was true are forces would have boats that float...air planes that did come off the ark with Noah! and subs that dont take on water!!
    Our unemloyment is only for imagrants, us comon foke have too work too support these people and wonder why we cant dip into the pot.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So, you lay off your spring to fall guys and hire other guys for snow. Is that what your saying? Lots of companies do different things, what ever works for you?

19. xtreem3d

yes....the snow guys have been here for years.....as i said i explain it to everyone who starts, so they all know ..if someone declines to file for unemployment for whatever reason, i'll use them if i can. there isn't alot of snow work here (events compared to you probably) so it's almost to their benfit they accept my offer to file...btw...me and the employees pay into unemployment

20. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Your employee is pretty smart for being 18 yrs old! You have a little entrepreneur on your hands. I've been self-employed for over 14 years now and the value of a good and loyal employee is absolutely priceless...if that is all it takes to ensure that he is there for you then I consider that a steal.

If he has to go out and get another job to help him get by during the winter, chances are he won't be available when you need him.

Like some of the other guys said earlier, you can always give him "busy" work to make him earn that $50 too. Either way, it sounds like you might have an employee that could stick around for a couple years, let him know you appreciate him. It'll go a long, long way.