1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help, opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dojo, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Dojo

Dojo Junior Member
    from pa

I would like to know if anyone is plowing with a 2wd GMC 4500? We are getting a new one in a couple of weeks and would like to upfit it for snow. Was wondering if salt weight would be fine. Any experience or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  2. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

I haven't used a 2wd plow truck myself, but all the big landscapers around me use trucks like the one you are going to get to plow snow. i was told to put a few yards of sand or dirt in the back and you should be all ready to plow snow.
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

A few years back i plowed with another guys 3500 2wd dually. With 2.5yrds of sand in back it went fine. Empty though...it was a little tough getting through deeper snow, or while having a full plow load.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We plowed with my 3500HD for 5 years. This year I plan on using my 3500 2wd. I put the mount and wiring on last year but never used it. I did use it 3 years ago with a 9'6" Fisher V blade. There was only once when it could not push the pile. The school had blowen a 40' wide sidewalk into the bus loop. I could hardly push it with my 3500 Dodge in 4x4 with weight in the box. I was looking at a C5500 2wd with a 11'6" steel box. There are a few C5500 2wd around here pushing snow. They have fairly small salters in them.
  5. Dojo

Dojo Junior Member
    from pa

The 4500 has a 12' bed and I was concerned about the long wheelbase. I guess there really isn't any way to find out without just upfitting it and trying. I would just hate to spend the money to upfit this truck and it not be useful. Appreciate the input -- keep is coming. Thanks