1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help on a strip mall bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by srl28, Oct 28, 2009.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Have the chance to bid on this mid sized strip mall. Comprised of 2 long buildings, middle section you see is flat open, ready to build land but nothing that concerns plowing. Estimated this lot to be total, front and back driveway/lot to be about 88,000 Sqft.

They want a per inch type bid, 2 inch trigger

One price for 2 to 5"
    One for 5 to 8"
    One for 8 to 11" etc
    Price for salt app.

Plowing prices must include shoveling some sidewalks that are in front of the buildings. Nothin huge but you can kinda see where they are from the pic.

Areas outlined in red are the parking lot, crappy pavement but not too horrible really. areas in blue are where there are little cut outs for dumpsters and the 2 entry ways into and out of the lot. Heard some numbers from previous years but one was seasonal so I wanted to see if maybe you guys could help me out here first. Rarely if ever do we do per inch like this, thus I could use some help.

mallplowbid1painted.jpg

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

You could maybe take which ever way you normally bid your properties and convert it to by the inch and square feet.. just an idea ..

3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Yea but how exactly. Ill say this, in previous years, there were contractors on this site that did it for about 10k per year, so we hear. Divide it all up real quick and I'm getting 11 cents a square foot but

4. plowinginma

from MA

are they changing the way they bid it? or is 10 what they paid for last year..

If you could find out how they will be comparing the bid would be helpful.

I would suggest take what you already do.. lets say you plow a place that is an acre.
    dived by the # of storms and inches sanding etc..
    sounds like you came up with 11 cents a foot.. not sure if thats per storm or by the year..

commercial parking lots most people are way under a penny per foot ..per inch..

If you want to be at 10 for an average year then take the average storms and set pricing acordingly

5. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

No they had it per inch the past couple years now. Said they were tired of paying 10k a year and having like 10 storms that were minor and the plow guy makes out well where as in other years they would pay the 10k and make out well cause they got some significant snow. Basically the pros and cons of seasonal pricing. If that makes sense.

So they will be basing my price off of what the guy last year did it for. So long story short I'm trying to figure out how to price this per inch. Assuming they set aside and budget about 10k per year for snow, I need to somehow back into it or figure out what it would be. Anyone have any thoughts or what you might charge?

6. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Looks about 200 spaces nice long, narrow pushes with no islands 2-5" 500.00, 225.00 for sanding

7. plowinginma

from MA

That would probably work out to 10 for where I am from ..based on an average year ..

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Just plow, 1 to 1.5 hours, 2-4"

dunno about salt.

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

So lets say 2 acres...from reading other post...Jersey gets good rates.
    I would day based on their scope and increments, you'll probably pass through on a 6" storm at least two or three times to keep'em off your back; why not put a per push price then calculate your clean up cost at the end. Number wise... for Jersey(i believe average is 10 storms), how about $180 each push then say...250 to clean up; i'm thinking you may need to treat maybe twice for a 6" snowfall to protect yourself.