1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please HELP .. Monarch 8111D pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Drew37, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Drew37

Drew37 Junior Member

Trying to help a buddy wire this thing up ... the control box has 2, 5-pole switches. He tried t set it up & melted a few wires and the wire length was alright ( ( 4 feet) if you could stand beside the plow & set angle and raise & lower the plow. He figured the gauge wire was too small. I extended the wire ( fed it through the firewall and reconnected it wire by wire, plugged it in and nothing ... Messed around with different combinations within the switch box and the only combinations I can seem to find is plow up / down & right pull ... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Wire colors coming out of the pump are Brown Yellow Red Black Blue and Green .. seems I have HOT on Red & Blue, I read that Brown is the solenoid ( not sure where on the switches they hook up to ( spliced to 2 connections ) I assume that Black is ground ( also spliced to 2 connections)

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What plow is this on? And how many valves? What was the issue that he's "rewiring" it?
    Any pictures would be great!

The wires to the motor should be minimum of 4g. But I'm thinking that's not what you mean.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  3. Drew37

Drew37 Junior Member

the original wires on the plug were 18 gauge .. bumped them up to 14 gauge .. it's a Western plow .. the wires were too short to operate the control unit from the cab .. 3 valves on the pump, Thanks

4. dieselss

Western never used a monarch setup.

And you need some diodes to get it to operate properly. From factory it was all.done inside the controller.

5. Drew37

Drew37 Junior Member

it's a Arctic setup ... the Blade is a Western Poly, with an Arctic Quick Release Frame Mount .. 6 pin connect / 18 gauge wire .. there are 2 switches , 1 for up/down & 1 for right left swing .. where i am lost is the solenoid connections ( 2 of 'em) and the ground connections ( 2 of 'em ) on the switches .. from what i can tell
    - - - right / left
    red + blk

- - -
    brn + brn

up/ down
    - -
    Lamp Blue

- -
    + +
    - -
    blk blk

6. Drew37

Drew37 Junior Member

the only part that is is Western is the poly blade, it's an Atrtic setup .. sorry my BAD ..
    Pump has 3 Valves ( 3 hydraulic hose outlets )
    there were no Diodes in the original controller ( voltage feed back ? ) There are 2 switches , one for Blade UP / DOWN and the other for RIGHT / LEFT both are 5 pole ( bridged @ the center poles ) Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  7. Drew37

Drew37 Junior Member

where to hook up the solenoid & ground terminals on these 5 pole switches has me baffled ... Thanks in advance for any input

8. dieselss

If it's an artic set up, then you need to get the wiring diagram from them.
    Saying blu to blu. And blk to blk....etc means absolutely nothing.
    Again what was the issue that your rewiring it?

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Post some pics of the front and back sides of the switches. And of the pump. And what the valves look like. Was this working and your trying to fix it. Or used and its an install?

10. Drew37

Drew37 Junior Member

Found the problem, 3 wires were shorted out within the pump housing.
    Thanks