1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me !

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mrscinalaska, Feb 25, 2006.

1. mrscinalaska

mrscinalaska Junior Member
    from alaska

does anyone out there know the rules for paying employees that start at 8pm and work until 3 or 4am the employees think they should get overtime because is the next day.....can anyone help me with this? I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me ty for your time :help:
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

ive never heard anythign like that they work a set amount of hours they get paid by the hour or by the job but no overtime

let me guess they want bonuses if the work the last day of the month into the next month too right
  3. mrscinalaska

from alaska

Not yet

not yet pray tell but now gonna be watching for that ....do u have employees? did u make them sign contracts or how did u work it?
  4. mrscinalaska

from alaska

ok...do your employees work nights into the next day? did they ever say it was considered ot?
  5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yes i have 6 employees and they all work into the next day sometimes if it snows.. ive never heard anything about overtime
  6. mrscinalaska

from alaska

what about if they plow...leave then have to go back and plow again and its over 8 hours compiled do u pay ot then?
  7. sodking

sodking Member

check your state laws but generally overtime only has to be paid after the 40th hour during a workweek. Yes we have about 22 employess in the various companies.
  8. mrscinalaska

from alaska

thank you both very much i will look at state laws in alaska i appreciate both of your time
  9. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I live in Massachhusetts and here you have to pay time and a half for anything over 40 hours in one work week.
  10. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

the only time i have ever heard about OT during a single work day is if your in a union and u work than 8hrs in a day
  11. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

Over Time

if they work from 8pm to 4am that is 8 hours stright time <whatever your hourly rate is> then they have to go back out later that day after they went home, that is again striagt time. OVERTIME IS ANYTHING THAT IS CONSECUTIVE, EX. 8 hrs plus 5 hours on top of that.

EX. 8 hours * $50 per hour should be $400.00 before taxes.

OVERTIME 8 hours + 5 Hours overtime = 13 hours.

$400.00 + $375 overtime pay = $775 before taxes.

12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Would you consider this second shift ? I dont know of any company who pays over time for "second shift" employee's with 8 hours or less.
    IL law is anything over 8 hours for a 40 hour work week. Meaning if you put in 4-10 hour days your not getting time and a half for 8 hours of the 40.
    Good luck
  13. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Sorry but labor law doesn't consider consecutive time or not.....it's based entirely on a 40 hr work week.
    If you work 12 hrs on Monday, 8 hrs the rest of the week, and then 4 hrs on Friday, you're not qualified for overtime. This applies to non-exempt employees only...if a person meets the defined exempt status, then overtime is not required regardless of how many hours you work in a week.
  14. addicted

addicted Senior Member

OT is based on a work WEEK not a work DAY.
  15. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Food for thought....

If you could look at a days work and consider consecutive time as OT or not, every manager in America would send the workforce home after 8 hrs and then call them back an hr later...man would we save some cash!
  16. backdragon

backdragon Junior Member

pay rate

Why dont you make them subcontractors for falt rate just like you bid ?
  17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Work it out long before the storm. The company I sub for on occasion would never pay me overtime, when it snows and Iam done with my stuff, they call me. For their shovelers, its the same way, they come out when called and thats that. If they wont get out of bed because they are not being paid overtime then they won't have a job anymore. I can see people wanting overtime for summer work that can wait but snow needs to be taken care of when it falls, such is the nature of the business and whoever decides to get in it should understand that hours are not always going to be 9-5.
  18. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I've been plowing snow for 11 years, all diff. situations, and i have never been paid overtime. Ive had plenty of weeks that were over 40 hours lust plowing, but it is just the way snowplowing goes. Ive never asked for it either, I've even had over 40 hours in one time out. its a time sensitive business and no overtime is how it has always been.
  19. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

i see what you guys are saying that make more sense.