1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me Identify my old Sno Way

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by ratobin, Dec 24, 2008.

1. ratobin

ratobin Junior Member

Hi, I have an older Sno Way that I would like help Identifying. I think it is at least 16 years old. There are no numbers left on it. The A-frame has been repaired before so no numbers there. It is 7' 4" or 88" wide. The mold board is 24" tall not including the cutting edge. It has the old style Monarch pump (M683) with the internal solenoid's. It was originally red in color, 3 point mount, the angle cylinders are mounted on top of the A-frame vs. the side. There is a picture of one almost identical to it (mine has only 2 springs)on Snoway.com in the "about Sno-way" section, here is a link. http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/about I have owned the plow since 1998 ish and it has been virtually trouble free. That is until now. :realmad:

I think my pump may need a rebuild. It slows down as the fluid heats up. If it is stored in a heated workshop it barely lifts or angles until it sits outside long enough to cool down. If it is single digits outside it works relatively good. The ATF is new. The system has been flushed. If I use sno-way fluid it is even worse. The Monarch manual indicates that if the pressure relief is too low the tank can become aerated and the unit will work slow. Could my pressure relief valves just need to be adjusted? Thanks for any help, Rob

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Your internal pump could be shot. I would start with pulling the tank and cleaning the filters and adjusting the pump. Have you had a pressure gage to it?

3. ratobin

ratobin Junior Member

Thank's Basher, I have cleaned the internal screen and the individual screens in the output ports. When you say adjust the pump do you mean the pressure relief valves or can you actually adjust the internal pump? I will try to check the pressure. I have not yet.

Do you have any idea what model my plow may be? I considered ordering a pump but can't tell my dealer what I have. I think I read somewhere else on this site that Sno way no longer supports this hydraulic unit. I think I can contact Monarch about parts but will have to wait until Monday. Thanks, Rob

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

By the description you provide it sounds as if this is a 2388 series plow that was produced many years ago.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Email me about a replacement pump if it come to that.