1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me choose 1 of these 2 Fords

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MatthewG, Mar 11, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

After alot of thought and tons of money paid to the Insurance Co. Im selling 3 of my trucks and combing them into 1.

Yesterday I drove a 2010 F250 6.4 and loved it to death, but the price is $44,000, and thats too much so sadly thats out.

So here is my dilema, do I go with the 2008 or 2009 6.4

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...pp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=1

or

go with a late 2006 or 2007 6.0

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...pp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=1

Lastly, my biggest hang up is do I want Crew Cab 6 foot bed or Ext Cab 8 foot bed???
    I know I want the 1 ton capacity for a new XLS and V box and to pull my deck-over trailer with skidsteer

2. Ranger429

Ranger429 Member

I'd go over to powerstroke.org and research the hell out of that 6.4 motor. A 6.0 can be made very dependable if it was taken care of and it has had some mods done to it.

Considering the 08 is cheaper and has less miles I would pick that one but not before reading up on that motor. Make sure you get an OASIS on either truck you decide on as that will tell a lot about prior history issues.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

6.4 no question. A few friends of mine run them and love them. If I wasn't driving a dmax that's what I'd be driving. To keep the truck happy plan on deleting the DPF and tuning it (Spartan makes some great tunes for them), also probably need an intake. It'll run you around $1200+. Expect at times nearly double the fuel milage, much more fun to drive, and a truck that will last longer.

Definitely get an oasis on the truck first, if it's a rolling train wreck then run away.

4. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

Problem with 08 and up is all diesels are required emissions, deleting the dpf will make it fail and void a warranty unless you swap everything bAck every time.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You can swap exhausts in 45min-hour usually. Also some places just plug into the obd2 port and use a scanner. The tuner will make everything read correct as if the emissions stuff was still in place.

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Forget that 6.4 they suck.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Please elaborate on your short bit of information here.

8. frdtrckmnrich

frdtrckmnrich Junior Member

I have an 08 with the 6.4 in a crew cab short box F350 4x4 and totaly love it! I also have an 03 excursion with a 6.0 and also love it. But when faced with a choice i would go with the 6.4.

9. MatthewG

My focus is to pick the truck/motor with the least amount of potential problems.

Id love to have the look and style of the 08, Id love the 11 look even more, but again im looking at practicality, my 7.3 has been awesome, but being a dually, it is not the most practical truck to cruise around town

10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I own an 07 6.0 powerstroke and love it. I don't have a lot of info on the 6.4 but know they have a DPF and if it gets clogged it is about $1800 to have replaced. My stepmom works at a ford dealer. I was having balljoints done in my truck and was talking to the mechanic about the motors. He told me he would buy a 6.7 if they were affordable. After that he preferred the 06-07 6.0's over the 6.4. Especially the 08. I didn't ask alot about it because when I am ready for a new truck I won't be looking at the 6.4. Good luck on the new truck.

But my truck only has about 75,000 on it but hasn't had any major problems with it. The only motor problem I had was with the turbo housing getting gummed up. They replaced that and it has been fine.

11. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

There nuts on the black 6.0

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

No kidding. Is there gold in the glove box or something? He could go get a brand new 6.7 for 10K more after rebates and haggling.

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with a 6.0 but you can find one for much cheaper than that.

Get the Oasis on both. I agree about the delete's but with that mileage you are probably wanting warranty so delete's/tunes won't be an option. Expect 10-14mpg's out of the 6.4 stock.

Exactly

Incorrect. The emission's test will fail if the tune is still in the computer since it eliminates the EGR system. The test is for emissions, if it see's there is "no emission's" system active its an automatic failure. There are some ways around it with some tuners but you have to go to those shops that are willing to help you.

But, a 6.4 with delete's and a tune is an absolute animal that will be very reliable and get nearly 20mpg's in a crew cab short box. A 6.0 can turn some nice mpg's and power as well, just find one thats been taken care of, has a clean oasis, then toss a SCT tuner on it and have fun.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If they do a visual inspection it will fail. Electronically it should be good. The scanner shows the dpf as ready, egr and all that electronically appear to still be working.

A 6.4 with deletes is an animal for sure, a few friends of mine run 08 (job 2) 6.4's and have spent an extensive amount of time learning the trucks and how to properly mod and maintain them. One of them has 168k on his truck and will see 21+ on the highway (hand calc) on a 310 tune.

15. MatthewG

My least concern is passing emissions, I register my trucks at my parents address, they live in the boondocks, no emissions testing and on top of that I pay a local yahoo $20 and he gives me the sticker, no problems.

But, could someone tell me how I can get an oasis report???? I can get the vins on the trucks

6.4 is not really in my budget, at least I dont need something so expensive which is ultimately a plow truck. I'll keep looking for late 6.0s and look into a cummins

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The 2008 is a 6.4 (The ext cab long bed you posted). And if no Emission's or stickering is a problem then try to go with a 6.4. Much more reliable overall then the 6.0.

As for the Oasis, go to ford-trucks.com and post on the forums that you need an Oasis. I might be able to run one for you here at work, let me check with one of my techs and I'll let you know. Just need the VIN's

17. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  18. MatthewG

19. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I am actually looking at similar trucks, 07/08 diesels and some v10s. Big thing is that most 08s are still under warranty for at least 6 months or more. Also check out carsforsale.com mostly dealer listings, usually up to date.

20. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

6.4 sucks because without dumping money in them they get about 11 mpg. He would be better off with a gas motor. I dont sse the value in the 6.4 it was made for two years and alot of the guys i know that had them dumped them for the 2011. I have a 6.0 2006 f 350 i drive everyday and im not that impressed with it either. Very finiky in cold weather and with any water in the fuel. Just my opinion.